What is your favorite dog breed? And why?

I have a Chinese Shar-Pei and am looking for a companion for him

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 8:28 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Pets

• well as a owner of many..i cant really decide..can i pick a few lol..my favs would be rottweilers, labs, bloodhounds, beagle bassetts
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 8:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Well, I love several breeds. My fav. is really any sort of mutt. :) They usually have a great dispostion. As fo pure breeds, I have a Wiemeriner. He had so much energy when he was a puppy. He is almost 4 now and is calming down. However, he is a wonderful comapnion and very loyal and smart. I also adore Golden Retrievers.

My suggestion for you is to ask your local shelter if you can bring your dog and see how your dog interacts with several dogs. Usually they will set up a room and will bring in other dogs one at a time. Then you can see if your dog acts in a positive way to certian dogs.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• out of all the dogs i have owned my basset hounds are my favorite. they are so good with kids and so sweet :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I like big dogs that act like babies. I have a yellow lab and have rescued lab mixes in the past. The mixes are great because they are just as cute, but tend to shed less and don't have the pure bred issues i.e. hip dysplaysia and sensetive skin. They are never aggresive, love people, easy to train, fun to walk, get along well with other pets, and are great with children of any age, They can also be left alone without crating for long periods of time. I just love labs!
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 9:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• OH how cute, I love them,, I have shitzus,, forever, I have rescued 3 of them, I would suggest a female, the males like to rule the roost, although they are the friendliest dogs you can imagine! Mine is 9 and he has been so good with my son since the day he was born.. You could try a rescue, I wouldn't pay for a dog again when so many need homes right now. my female shitzu passed at 18 and she loved all other dogs and people!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:43 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Honestly, my favorite "breed" is a mixed breed. Of all the dogs I have had the best were both "mutts." We currently have a Cavalier King Charles mix that we adore. Before her, we had a Collie/Samoyed mix, but that is probably bigger than you are looking for lol. I have personally had bad luck with Boxers, Poms, and Australian Shepherds. Not saying those aren't good dogs, I just haven't had a good one.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I love English Bulldogs, they are the mellowist dog I have ever owned. Both of mine were very easy to train. we also had a Shar-Pei at one time, he was an alright dog, but we ended up not being able to keep him he was not really nice to our kids, he had to go to a home with all adults... now we have two mix brothers that are Basset Hound and Boxer, and they are really mellow too.
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My favorite breed is the Great Pyrenees. I love mine- she's wonderful with my other dogs, great with children, and she is an excellent watchdog. Although, she LOOOOOVES to bark LOL.

If you are looking into getting a second dog I second what a previous poster said about taking your dog to the shelter so that you can see how he does around other dogs, and if he seems to get along with one in particular just take it from there. All of my dogs are rescues, and two of them are purebreds so you never know what you might find in the local shelters and rescues.
    OhMaria

Answer by OhMaria at 4:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• German Shepherd

They are smart and absolutely beautiful.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I love Labs and Yorkies
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2011