Ear cleaning

A few days ago someone suggested peroxide for ear cleaning. How do you do that? My son's wax is so sticky, the q tip cotton just sticks to it, in the ear

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Kids' Health

• my pediactrician suggested to only use really warm (not hot!) water.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• ive used proxide just tilt the ear and put a lil in wait a min the make him switch sides and let it drain
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• im not sure about peroxide but i use a bugar sucker bulb...you get luke warm bowl of water, a bulb, a few q tips, and a towel or two...place a towel near a sink, have your child lay their head on their ear and fill the bulb with water and place it at the edge of the hole in the ear and squeeze the water in and it will rush out and clean out any wax build up in there, then use the q tip to get anything that is left
    tarapatton

Answer by tarapatton at 6:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My mom had us lay on her lap with one ear facing up. She put a few drops of peroxide in my ear and let it sit there and fizz a few minutes, then had us turn over to do the other side the same way. When you turn over the other side will drain. (there was a towel under our heads for that).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My mom did the same thing ReneeK3's did. My kids, however, hate to lay still for it. So, I just dip the q-tip in the peroxide and run it around the outer shell of the ear, down to the hole but not in the hole. If you dip the q-tip right, some will run off it and down into the ear, then when you tip the head, it'll come out.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• peroxide is what the pediatricians office uses. They just fill the ear with peroxide then put a cotton ball in it for 10 minutes. I do it to my son weekly because I have had to take him in twice now to have his ears cleaned by the nurse. That's why they told me how to do it =) Straight peroxide may be a little cold but if you mix it with some warm water (50/50) it still works.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and you shouldn't clean ears out with Q-tips. It can damage the ear of just push wax farther inside and make a big wax ball that is uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

• My doctor gave me a syringe with a tube on the end, i mix warm water and peroxide and tilt the head a little over a bowl and rinse the ear out with the mixture. It might be a little painful if you put too much pressure on the syringe but it always works.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• my doctor gave me this advice. never stick anything in an ear smaller than your elbow.
    you must always be careful because hearing can be damaged.

everytime you bath your son, let the warm water trickle into the ear canal. just turn his head to let the water run back out. it is the safest and most natural way to clean ears.
    Anonymous

• I started using peroxide on my kids from a young age and now they will actually come to me and ask me to use the "cold stuff" to clean them out, i only use the Q-tip to clean the outside of the canal sticking it in can really hurt them, when they were little i would let the peroxide drip off the end of the Q-tip intot he ear and used a tissue to wipe it out.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2008