Brushing teeth

My son is 3 . He has had his share of cavities..
I need some mommy advice on how i can get him to brush his teeth.. without swallowing the tooth paste. and actually brushing his teeth. :)

Thanks mommy's

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 8:48 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i brush my ds teeth first then hand him the tooth brush so he can do it himself :) same with the flossing.
    Mommy31107

Answer by Mommy31107 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I let my son pick out the toothpaste he wanted. He picked out the Oragel design your own toothpaste tube. He spent a long time putting stickers in it and he lives to brush his teeth now.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You still have to brush before and/or after him until he brushes well on his own. AND let him pick out his own toothbrush/toothpaste. If you use fluoride toothpaste, don't put more than a tiny bit on the brush (like half a pea size), and don't worry if he sucks it off and swallows it (or just stick to non-fluoride toothpaste). The important part is the brushing motion, moreso than the toothpaste.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:13 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Our dentist told us that until our son could tie his own shoes he did not have the coordination needed to brush his teeth properly. he is 5 now and learning how to tie his shoes, so maybe I can give that job to him here shortly.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 4:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011