Jealousy...how do I deal with this?

My 3 year old DD has been acting way out of character. My nephew just got his tonsils removed last Thursday and since the day he came home she has been well, jealous. She wants to eat the foods he is eating (only soft foods of course) and I have to constantly explain to her that he HAS to have those items and that there are things that she is eating that he cannot. It ends up in a HUGE meltdown. She has been peeing her pants again (something she hasn't done in a year) talking like a baby, wants to be held and rocked by me, is mean to her sister and my nephew and will constantly push them away from me. It is getting really frustrating. I am not showing her less attention than I am showing any of the other ones...and I don't know how to handle this situation. In case you are wondering, I live with my MIL and FIL right now while hubby is deployed and they have custody of me nephew. I have questioned whether she is acting this way because grandma isn't giving her any attention since my nephew's surgery. HELP!

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you may be right about the grandma attention. and maybe you can spend some just one on one time with her? Good luck mama!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:13 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• They have custody of my nephew I meant, not me nephew. Sorry I am typing on my cell phone and it has a mind of its own.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It truly is the only thing I can think of. My MIL just seems frustrated by the way she is acting rather than seeing the true issue. So, the other day I took my DD's shopping and we went to eat at Burger King (which is very rare, we do not eat out much at all) and she still continues to act out. She is fine when it is just me and her sister, but as soon as we are around gma and my nephew it all begins again.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2011