Why is it so hard for people to workout at home?

I've always heard most people hate to workout at home - that many will spend a fortune on home workout gear then never use it. I was wondering why? Too much responsibilities around?

KickButtMama

Asked by KickButtMama at 9:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• for me it's that I have no good space, and I need others to get me started. I teach dance and always ask my students to practice at home, yet I have very rarely done so myself on a consistant basis
    misha230

Answer by misha230 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I dont like to work out inside.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• well...they say that people get into certain "modes" when they are in certain places. Like, kids at school... a lot of kids work better at school because they are in a learning environment...then they go home & can;t fathom the idea of doing homework in a place where you're used to relaxing.

Same thing with a gym, it's THE place to go work out. Once you're there, it's a lot harder to turn around & leave without working out. When we're home, we're in "relax mode" at least some of us are. It's really easy for some to overlook working out when they're at home. Shoot...i'm doing that right now! No one is looking...i DON'T feel like doing my power yoga today! But, if i were to drive myself to the studio...I'd do it.

It's a lot easier to ignor when we're at home. I don't really WANT to work out, but i know i should. It's a lot easier to give up on when you're home alone, rather than being at a gym where everyone is exercising.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i think its bc we got a cabinet full of food these days and no motivation, or ppl to look at that you desire to look like! lol that always helped me in the gym, outside i was looking at the ppl on tv and ended up just getting a snack watching them work out! lmao, then id start cleaning ;)
    amberpowell

Answer by amberpowell at 9:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Easier to get distracted
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 1:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I enjoy going to the gym or going outside and running. I workout 6 days a week consistently (only 3 weeks this year I haven't hit a 6 day workout week) and I work hard and work up a good sweat. When I get home, I either have too many things distracting me (kids, cooking meals, cleaning) or the call of the couch is too loud. I get my money's worth for sure at the gym!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 1:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• For me it's kids. Or should I say kid... have you ever tried doing pushups with someone little keeps jumping on your back? It just doesn't work.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• No idea... I ONLY work out at home. I work out 6 days per week. I do P90X, Insanity, and I'm a runner as well.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have too many distractions at home. Also, I have a small house and I'd have to rearrange furniture every time I worked out. Seems easier for me to workout at the gym.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 9:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I too work out at home,I follow Leslie Sansone exercise DVD's,she is a walk instructer. these come in handy in the winter and rainy days! Otherwise I walk outside
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 9:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011