How do I get my son excited about Math?

My oldest DS (9) hates math....he can explain it verbally (how to go through the multiplication table, for instance). But if I give him a worksheet he'll stare at it or input all the wrong answer....he HATES it....we have always Homeschooled, and we've never had this problem before. (He's recently begun the diagnosis for Aspergers).
Any ideas????

KickButtMama

Asked by KickButtMama at 9:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I too homeschool and the beauty of it is that we don't have to do traditional school. Try getting a dry erase board and see if he can do it on there. Maybe find some manipulatives for him instead of a worksheet. Worksheets are basically busy work that they give children in school, they couldn't possibly make it fun and do different things for each student, there just isn't time. As long as he knows how to do it, is there any reason that he would have to do worksheets? I know there are different laws in each state, but here all you have to do is show a sampling of what they are learning and it doesn't have to be worksheets.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Can you present the info to him via computer rather than paper?

www.mathplayground.com
    www.iplaymathgames.com
    www.coolmath.com
    www.primarygames.com/math.htm
    www.multiplication.com
    www.archimedes-lab.org

These are just a few of the sites my kids AG teacher suggested to keep their skills up to date over the summer. Maybe you can use them?

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• How about School House Rocks videos? They have tons of math videos and they set them to music so it keeps the kids interested. You can find them online.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• try to find a way to make learning math fun! Use objects that he is interested in and incorporate them into his math studies.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• SCHOOL HOUSE ROCKS!!!! Their multiplication video is awesome. Also, make sure to relate the math to everyday life so it's not just numbers on a page and rules to memorize.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think making it fun would be a great answer, but I can't think of anything to make math fun.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• School House Rocks videos
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I hated math too. For me it was about going slow and repetition. Try making the repetition fun with the suggestions above. Math is harder for some people than others...and I am not at all dumb. I had straight As in other subjects but Math was like a foreign language, lol.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Honestly, i don't know. I have never been excited about math myself.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Make it fun, do math games... have contests and such.
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 8:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011