Hay for Cat Liter? Home-made cat food?

Both my DH and I are currently unemployeed so I'm trying to cut corners wherever possible, especially for our 2 cats.

I once heard someone mention using horse bedding as cat liter as you can purchase horse bedding for really cheap....has anyone ever heard of this? What about making homemade cat food.....ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

KickButtMama

Asked by KickButtMama at 9:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Homemade cat food is more expensive to make than store pet food, I would buy in bulk both the litter and the food,, I tried that pine litter, and my cat wouldn't touch it,, I would think that horse bedding although cheaper at first would have to be changed almost everytime they used the litter box,, if they even would try it.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:39 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• homemade cat food is really good for cats. You can make a large batch & freeze it in zip-lock bags. It's a real cheap way to feed your cat a very healthy diet. Here are some recipes...

http://cat-recipes.blogspot.com/

Also, if they say to use rice...use BROWN RICE! White rice is not very good for cats, they don't need many carbs & too many carbs can give them kidney infections, or even worse, make their kidney's fail. This is why cheap cat food is bad for cats...too many carbs.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:40 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Not true..I find that making your own cat food in bulk is MUCH cheaper than buying cat food....and its also better for them. I spent $20 on making cat food 2 months ago & i still have some in my freezer...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:42 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I agree with kimigogo, you can purchase inexpensive cat food for much less than you can make it yourself. I pay less than $7 for a bag that lasts about a month and a half for two cats. I can't make cat food for that price (and I have tried making it in the past). As for litter, I honestly don't know, but I would venture to say that the horse bedding would not help eliminate any odors. I would get the bulk cat litter and scoop it daily so it lasts as long as possible.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• since cats diet consist or mostly high protein meats you are going to be able to buy a middle of the road quality cat food for less than it would cost to make... though home made cat food or top of the line cat food is of course the 'best' for the cat but if you have to cut corners I certainly understand. As far as cat littler goes buying a large bag so store brand non-clumping litter and scooping the poop daily while dumping weekly is not to bad on the wallet. Even bulk oil dry form Costco or Sams would work well for a non clump cat litter. With some baking soda it works great.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Though I suppose meat prices in your area could be cheaper than where I am. Doesn't hurt to look into it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My cat sleeps in the barn so she just uses the hay or the yard.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have hay around all the time for our guinea pigs, but we use it as a food source and not as bedding, because it has no absorbent properties at all. In a litter box situation I would think you would have the pee puddling at the bottom because it has nowhere to go but down into the litter pan. I think trying to use it as cat litter would stink and any savings in cost would be eaten up by the amount of times you would have to completely change and replace the hay. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Straw would be a very bad option. What you could get is the bag of pine litter made for guinea pigs and other small rodents ... but introduce it mixed with your current litter. A huge pack of it (enough to fill a store buggy) costs less than $8 and for two cats should last almost two months or so.

I make cat food for our cats ... I use ground rabbit, chicken, turkey, whatever is handy and mix it with chopped chicken/turkey necks, legs, livers, egg yolk, yogurt, and a few vitamins. I also feed table scraps (veggies) because my cats are odd and like veggies sometimes. The meat is fed raw, not cooked! I raise rabbits, so that is always handy and the rest I pick up at the local grocery store depending on when I last processed our own chicken. I make the yogurt too (which is easy, healthy, and if you want can be flavored with jello or added fruit for your family).

The cheap food is just grains with fat poured over it. Blech!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Please do a lot of research before switching your cats to a home prepared diet, cooked or raw. Cats are obligate carnivores and MUST have the main bulk of their diet be meat.
    Have you seen the Dogster website and forum? There is a RAW feeding area mainly for dogs but they have lots of knowledge about cats as well. It's a good resource.

We currently feed our dog and 2 cats RAW (prey model) and I find it to be about the same as a good high quality kibble diet.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2011