My MIL said ds pulled his pants down while playing with kids in the yard......... adult content

and grabbed his penis and ask what it was. She said that she quickly ran over and pulled his pants up. You guys he is only 2yrs old I don't know what to tell him. I know if I say penis he will start saying all day long(he repeat things when he learned a new words). Any advice is welcome. Also is it best for me or hubby to tell him what it is. As you can see I am inexperience when it come to raising boys, I thought I had a long way to go before this came up! lol Also I know he will do this-he will ask what is that all day long, I guess that is how his little brain process stuff. He ask the same questions all day long.

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell him that it is a penis and let him know that it is a private part of his body, not to be talked about or shown to other people. YOU tell him, unless a situation arises that your husband is at closer hand. There is no reason that you cannot be close with an open and honest relationship with your son. Don't make it as a source of embarrassment, it is part of his body, just like his nose or arm. If he keeps repeating it, just repeat that we don't talk about it all the time or steer him to doing something else. Boys are fun, and if you think this is embarassing, wait until he discovers that his body can make noises!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You tell him in a nonchalant tone that that is is private area and it is called a penis. It is only for him, mommy and daddy and the doctor if mommy and daddy say it is okay, to see and touch. Make it not a big deal. Just another body part name. If he starts to talk about it remind him he should only talk about it with mommy and daddy because it is his private area.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i think it's funny. every child discovers their privates at some point. The worst thing to do, it make it seem like it's a bad thing to be curious about it. You don't have to call it a penis, you can say "privates" or something like that.

It's normal. Don't make him feel bad for being curious about it. just tell him what it is, that it makes him go pee. Tell him that it stays in his underwear unless he is in the bath.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Say that is your pee pee (or whatever name you want). Don't make a huge deal out of it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Welcome to the world of boys. All you can do is tell him what it is. try and get through to him that taking down his pants in front other kids is not a good thing. One thing that might help, only because boys love to be naked, don't know why they just do, is to have naked time for him after bath and before bed. It seems to get this out of their system and teaches them there is a time and place for different things. If you freak out it will only make it worse. For some reason they think it's funny when Mom and Dad freak out at this age.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I would say it is your penis and it is private, you can touch it when alone, but in front of people please keep it inside your pants, it is not for others to see. Honesty is just the best idea all the way around, if you make him feel uncomfortable with his body, it can have long term effects. I asked my pediatrician and my brother (a doctor) and the both suggested just to call it what it is.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• for goodness sake, do him and his future gfs or wife(s) a favor and call it what it is..its a penis. not a peepee, or the captain, or wingwang, peeny, and a host of other ridiculous things i've heard adults teach their kids.
    if he's old enough to ask what it is and other related questions regarding his penis, he's old enough to be told exactly what it is. and how to clean it, how to hold it, when not to hold it, when not to show it, who's allowed to see it or touch it...period.
    and yes, he'll repeat it in public, probably when you least expect it. but that's to be expected! kids will be kids..nothing to be ashamed of or intimidated by.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Kids who know the anatomical names of their body parts are subjected to less sexual abuse than those who don't.

So what if he says penis all the time for a week? He's 2, he's not going to school and repeating it. And even if it's going to day care and repeating it... it's normal. It's his penis, it's not a big deal.

I start telling my kids about their parts as soon as they can understand. My daughter knew "vagina" before she could speak clearly, and she has never given me a moment of "OMG! How do I explain this?!"

Be calm about it. Next time you change his diaper or help him potty tell him what it is and what it does. "This is your penis. It's where your pee comes out. It's the part that boys have." Answer questions honestly and straightforwardly.

And then just reinforce every once in a while :) If he says it a million times that's okay. You can avoid taking him in public or around little kids a few days.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Well now that he has found it, you will have to keep his hands off it. That is the next stage. Then explaining why it is hard... fun times!

I agree don't make it seem dirty our bad. It is natural to find their body parts. Don't be surprise if he rubs his nipple too. Why do we notice these things so much, but it wasn't a big deal when they find their toes??? Of course we don't want them to share with party guests, a little self control please (that's our job to teach). Now is a good time to start talking to him about good touching & bad touching.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• If you make a big deal about it, it will become a big deal. Just tell him its his penis and pull his pants back up. Also explain that, unless we are taking a bath, we keep our clothes on. Penis is not a bad word. Who cares if he says it for a week straight? Anyone who says anything about it can be told that your child is learning about his body or to mind their own business, your choice.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011