What is an Engineer?

I also want to know how long do you go to school,and is it a high paying job?

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 9:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in

• There are many types of engineering, you need to be more specific. But in general an engineer applies scientfice/mathicmatical knowlege to solve problems.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• A person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines...and stuff like that.

Yes, they make a lot of money. School is hard...lots of math required. 6 years is about average college if you want a good paying job in engineering.

My BIL is an engineer & went to school for 6 years. Yes, he makes a ton of money....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• BS in engineering normally takes 4 years.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• here is a link that explains all the different types of engineers there are...

http://www.top-engineering-schools.com/types-of-engineering.html
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Depends on the kind of engineer, a locomotive engineer, a technical engineer, a architectural engineer, a computer science engineer... An engineer is a broad term for someone who build or repairs machinery....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I was about to post the same link Samurai!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• BS in engineering takes 4 years for people who do very well in math/science. Typically, it takes more like 5 and the good engineering schools are hard to get into - you can get into the university usually, but to get in the School of Engineering in that university it takes a lot more. My stepdad is an electrical engineer, my oldest brother is a computer engineer, and my middle brother has a double degree in computer engineering and chemical engineering. Yes - it pays very well.

Answer by missanc at 10:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I went to a university that has one of the top engineering colleges in the US. I was not an engineering major, but I have friends that were. Certain engineering majors required higher GPAs to remain in the major. If I remember correctly, civil engineering had a lower GPA requirement than the others (petroleum, mechanical, computer, etc.)
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My husband is a Network Engineer. The pay supports our family just fine. He works with computers, networks, CISCO, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2011