Other People Kissing Your Kid

DD is 5yo and I just took her to her summer tumbling class (she also goes Sept-May). I had a phone call to make, so I got her settled and then went into the hall to make the call. After a couple of minutes I hung up and out came another mom (someone I regularly talk to when we are waiting for our girls to get out of class) who dropped off her kid...and the grandmother was with them. The grandmother was telling me how she was "covering" DD's face with kisses making her laugh. I was shocked yet all I could say was "You shouldn't kiss someone elses kid." She laughed it off saying DD was just another one of her granddaughters. She has seen my daughter only occasionally...and maybe only 4-5 times in the past year.

I'm majorly bugged by this. It's not even really that it's her that did it...I honestly don't think I'd be okay with anyone but close family or very close friends doing that. Is this wrong of me?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 9:56 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's Not OK & It makes me crazy especially when family members kiss my Son on the lips. I have told him "NO Lips" so now he turns his face when one of them go to kiss him. I think it's like an old school thing that older women do (60's+). I see that age do it a lot. Back when they were growning up or had kids no one worried about germs. But today we know better. I would speak to who ever is in charge in that class & explain that if they see that woman do it then please say not to. Tell your daughter to say " Mommy says No kissing except for family". It just makes me cringe!!!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• no one can fault you for finding something wrong with this situation..if it bothers you how someone is with your child, then it bothers you.
    personally, i'm a recovering germaphobe..and i would cringe at a stranger smothering my ds with kisses. however, someone i've seen regularly, even only a few times, and i have no other qualms about that particular person..i would write if off as being grandmotherly, and as soon as possible, get him to the bathroom to wash up. but that's just me.
    btw..i'm the person who has a problem with community communion..won't take communion in a church that shares the cup..lol..speaking of church, can't stand the idea of shaking hands with everyone coming and going. i know we have Purell all over the place, but still...ewww.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Maybe the woman has alzheimers or is sick with some form of memory issue, or maybe she is just old and trying to be nice? I wouldnt be bothered enough to think twice about it or to have said what you did to her. I would have just asked my dd if she liked that woman and seen how she felt. I never think there are too many adults who can give love to a child.

Answer by gemgem at 10:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• No, it's not wrong. It doesn't bother me so much, but I completely understand where you're coming from. You can tell your daughter it's okay to tell her not to do that. Not a whole lot you can do if you want to remain civil with her, though :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• That to me depends on the person. U don't have to be family, but if I don't know u very, (and like you as a person) well then yes, that would upset me as well!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My hubby works at the hospital and has seen all of the things you can catch from other peoples bodily fluid. So I don't like people kissing on my kids.

ShirreeM

Answer by ShirreeM at 10:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Honestly, even if my mother did that I would be grossed out. There is nothing you can really do about it though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2011