Which IUD would you rather?

i'm thinking about getting a IUD but keep going back and forth on the paragard and the mirena. does anyone know anything about either of these?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 9:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in

• i have mirena & love it. I like that my periods are super duper light. i never had any weird side effects. I know people who have them both, and some people really like them & some people really hate them. Every body is different & you won't really know how you react to it until it's done.

I would suggest you go somewhere where they specialize in placing the IUD. My gyno tells me that lots of Dr.'s do it, but don't really know how to place it right. If the IUD is not placed in the uterus right, it can cause a TON of problems. My Gyno specializes in placing IUD's...she is a pro & has never had any issues in the past 10 years she has been doing it. So, just choose your Dr, wisely, because most of the problems that arise with IUD's...is because of bad placement in the uterus.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Ive heard good things about Mirena. I tried to get that but my uterus was to scarred and to small the doctor said. The placement of it is a little uncomfortable though...instead i got the implanion. and so far its been great. Just a little piece of plastic in my arm and good to go...
    Nathonsmama

Answer by Nathonsmama at 10:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• mirena... from what I have heard about it
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 10:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• mirena
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• none
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I've had the Mirena for 2.5 years. Never again. It worked for BC...but do an internet search for Mirena side-effect support groups. Obviously it works very well for some women, but others put on a lot of weight, have migraines and other aches and pains, lose hair, enter serious depressions, and alll kinds of things after getting their Mirena, and their doctors keep saying it's not the Mirena (even though many of these side-effects are documented in the physician's prescribing information, but not in the pamphlet patients receive). There are a lot of us. Many of us are trying so hard to get over the side-effects of this device, just to feel like ourselves again. It's a synthetic hormonal device, constantly in place in your body. It has the potential to do some screwy things to different body systems.

I've never had a Paraguard but since's it's hormone-free it should have fewer side-effects.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 2:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Paraguard
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 11:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Mirena...I loved it when I was on it
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 8:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would think that mirena would be good if you do OK with hormones (ie the pill, nuvaring, shots, etc). But many of us who have problems with the hormones in those, don't do well on mirena either.

Paraguard can lead to longer, heavier periods. Mirena is not supposed to have many side effects (except a good % of people may get cysts, like 5-15%, I forget), but I have known people who had them- and considering how few people I know, it seems like there are more effects than the literature leads you to believe.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Mirena
    galkimba911

Answer by galkimba911 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

Next question in
Would you rather serve or be served?

Next question overall
What is an Engineer?