Any wives or other family members of police officers?

My husband is thinking of becoming a cop. I support him in this. It kind of scares me, to think of him having to deal with scary, crappy people all the time, but if it's what he wants, then I will support him.

I'm wondering... what is life like living with a cop? What are the hard things about it? What are the perks? Any tips for him or for me if he decides to do this?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• My husband is a booking officer. He choose not to go out on the road because he enjoys working in the jail better (and he would have had to take a pay cut). It can be hard at times. My husband works 12 hours a day for 7 days and then has 7 days off. So, I guess you could say that one perk is that he has a vacation every other week, lol. However, by day 4 or 5, he is exhausted and can be a grouch at home. We also can not go out in public without seeing an inmate or someone that he has booked in. Sometimes, people do come up to thank him for helping them change their lives around and sometimes, he gets evil stares. Anyways, it can be hard, but if your husband enjoys it, it can be a rewarding career. If you have any questions, you can pm me.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I come from a family of cops. The perks r it is one big brotherhood and sisterhood. They leave the job at the station. they don't bring it home. They r not allowed to talk about cases. Tips r support him. It is a hard job and it takes strong people to do it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• no, but i did get a new phone number which happened to be the same number that cop had in the past. I get all sorts of weird phone calls and other cops tring trying to reach me. One cop guy texts me or used to text me a lot telling me he was on patrol etc. (dont ask i put a stop to it). Anyway...he worked all sorts of odd hours and they have over time that they have an option to take. Cops work a lot and often in the middle of the night. It is noble work though and i wouldn't discourage him if that's what he wants to do.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My brother and sister r patrol officers. My brother in law is a sergeant. I also have alot of friends that r on the force. I work in the medical field.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Cops get their shifts changed every 3 months.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:17 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Dancer, that really depends on the department they work for.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• JeremysMom - I know,I am referring to the chicago police,the patrol officers.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My brother is a police officer. Academy was tough to get through, but he made it 3rd in his class. Unfortunately, the day before they graduated the city decided that they needed to cut the force and the newest cops had to go. Even though they were guaranteed a job in academy, they lost their jobs the day before they started them. The city told them that when they needed more cops that they would be the first to be "hired". My brother went a year on unemployment, then was hired by a smaller town to be a cop there. He is the "new guy" so he has to take whatever shifts no one else wants or can do, cover everyone else's vacation and sick days, and changes shifts at least twice a month. It is not an easy job, it is a very stressful, dangerous job. The pay is great, if you give up all your free time and pull double shifts, work overnights, and take every patrol they give you. But you never see your family that way.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My husband is a deputy and operates the jail. Most of our friends work in law enforcement. Some in the court, some in the jail, others on the road. The application process was very involved. He had to give a whole lot of references, even our neighbors were interviewed. We even had a drop in interview with both of us at the house. He really enjoyed the academy and made friends from all around the state. At the time it wasn't so bad because we only had one child and family around to help me out, I don't know how I'd fare out if he were to go now. LOL Here they all switch shifts three times a year. It's not so bad except for the fact that with EVERY shift change the family has to re-adjust and by the time we're settled we do it again. He gets into scuffles with ornery inmates regularly. Much of the report writing and what not comes home. We run into ex inmates everywhere. It's very rewarding in the end!
    Anonymous