Do you keep up any form of relationship with your exes?

Do you think it's appropriate to be friends with ex-boyfriends after you are married? What about casual acquaintances?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• Most of my exes were my friends before they were my boyfriends & remained friends after they were exes..... so yeah. I'm still in contact with quite a few of them.

My husband doesn't care & wouldn't really do him much good if he did. He met my friends -- most of them guys & most of them exes -- shortly after we started dating.... so he knew what he was getting himself into.

Last spring, my husband gave me a long weekend to myself --- took vacation time to stay home with the kids and told me to go. I didn't know where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do and his was HIS suggestion to go visit my "friends in Dallas" (aka: my exes).

I didn't go -- decided a picture-taking weekend in the hill country was more what I was up for.... just making the point that he knows & supports my friendships -- no matter who they're with.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• No for get them why do you want to be friends if it did not work while together why do you want to have friends like that. Not to mention they will probably think since youv'e had sex in the past maybe it could happen again. No way stay away!!!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I don't have any exes!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I dont see the harm in it if it was a mutual seperation and you both have decided that being friends is better than lovers. Also, if there are kids involved its nice to have a friendship to show the kids that even though you arent together, you dont have to hate eachother.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• nope, i don't have kids with them so i don't want them near me, they were all assholes anyways.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 9:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i'm friends with my ex-fiance and have weekly chat "dates" with him, my hubby knows about it and usualy gets told the entire conversation anyways

my sister and her ex-hubby are best friends and sometimes he will live with her and her current hubby as roommates

if everybody gets along and knows whats going on with everybody else, i see no problem with it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I don't usually answer a question with a question, but i think this time requires an exception.
    Would you like it if your husband kept up a relationship with his ex's? Even if all they ever did was talk? Or meet for lunch? Would you like it? I know for sure I wouldn't. I mean, I try to be decent to my kids' dad. My boyfriend is nice to his ex. But it's because of the kids. I think that if you don't have kids with the other person, you don't have any reason to even talk with them. I mean, if you liked them so much, why did you break up? I just don't think there is any reason for ANYBODY who has a serious relationship or is married to be hangin around with ex's. It's like trouble waiting to happen.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 12:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• depends on the situation. My first hubby and I have a 20yr old son, he's remarried and a great guy. we keep in contact because there's no reason not to. we were just young and stupid when we married. I had no kids with #2 and he was abusive, I have no contact with him. #3 and I have a 17yr old daughter together and we're civil to one another. #4 and I were married for a decade with two boys, and we've become great friends, he's even buddies with my current DH.
    DH's bio-moms of his kids, however, have made his life (and mine) a living hell so there's no friendship there!
    The bio-dads of my kids didn't try to ruin my life, so I have no reason to try and keep distance.
    moniquesand

Answer by moniquesand at 10:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I have not seen him, nor hear from him. What a relief...I wouldn't know what to do or act. I'd probably ignore him...pretend I didn't see him.
    TJZak

Answer by TJZak at 7:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• That's just asking for trouble. There are reasons you broke up to begin with. You are married now and out of respect for your husband I think it's bad. Turn the tables and see how it would make you feel if your hubby hung out with his exes.
    Anonymous