Should I be insulted?

Not too long ago i was at the park with my kids,my SO's ex and their kids. she started undressing her kids into their bathing suite right int he open with people around and my DD tells her DD to cover up so no one will see..well her mom says oh no one is looking...no one wants to see you butterfly...REALLY?!?! How do you know that? She later was saying that her kids are loosing their innocence since my kids are around because they used to not know the diff. or care about body parts. She also lets her DD walk around the house with no shirt on...she is only 4,but I don't agree with it and I know it's not my place to say anything...she also lets them sleep naked...a fact I learned when the were here and they were both naked in the morning. My SO agree with me on how it;s wrong and he has told her this,but whatever her kids. I was just thrown back about her statement about them losing their innocence.

happymama02

Asked by happymama02 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• yep that was rude of her to say, and it will be her problem when her daughter is 15 and still doesnt want to wear clothes
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 10:22 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• she's gonna raise an exhibitionist!!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 10:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I don't think you should be insulted. It's her opinion, and you are fine with yours. People differ and if you are uncomfortable with your kids around hers, I suppose you must find a way around it.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:24 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Meh. Let it go. It's important to know about body parts, and I wouldn't change my kids in a public park, but loosen up a little. Nudity isn't sexual just because it's a bare body. Let kids be kids, they LIKE to be naked. My daughter is running around without pants on right now because that's what she likes to do, and I'm not gonna fight to keep pants onher while we're home alone. She's only 3, it's not a big deal.

Don't worry about it so much. And as far as losing their innocence? That's a bunch of hogwash, it's just a familial difference. No biggie :)

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I dont think it was insulting.

But I have to ask.... are those your boyfriends kids?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Well, my kids who have no issue running around naked, prefer to sleep naked (or just in undies)- like I do and see nudity as a completely normal, healthy part of life have most definitely been negatively impacted by other people projecting their skewed, perverted ideas.
    A 4 year old walking around without a shirt is wrong? Really? REALLY? By raising them with that sick, skewed perception, you are imprinting them with the idea that the human body should always be sexualized.

Nudity does NOT imply sexuality, or sexual behavior.

I would most definitely be unhappy with someone projecting their warped ideas on my children. ANYONE who sees an innocent, 4 year old child walking around without a shirt on as "wrong' poses a threat to my children.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:26 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• innocence is one thing undressing in public is another......just explain to the child that you have rules for your house that are different than the ones at moms house and hope as she gets older the ones from your house stick more

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• at home i guess is fine if your fine with it...I'm not..,but there are soo many creeps out there you never know who is looking and yes to those creeps nudity is sexual.
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Sure, but unless they are standing there leering at your child, it's not your problem, is it?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• honestly if my dds dads gf said that to me id prob tell her to fuck off and mind her own kid and she has no right to say that her kids have lost any thing bc of ur kids...esp since shes undressing them in public and honestly who know if there was a perve there watching
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2011