Doing a project for a class I am taking. Please help!!!!

What is your relationship with your in laws? What race are you? What race are they? Thanks for the help, I am supposed to give evidence either for or against the theory that those who are the same race as their in laws get along better with them then those who are of a different race. project. And since I am asking, I will also share, I am white, my DH is Asian, his parents can't stand me and the feeling is mutual!

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• White & White.
    FANTASTIC.

But I think it has less to do with race than maturity and respect. We dated, got engaged, married, THEN started a family. I met them, and they DID factor into my decision to get married. I would not have married a man whose family I didnt like... that is the maturity part. The fact that we did everything the proper way... finish school, date, REALLY know each other, etc... falls under the respect part.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My relationship with my inlaws is great. I'm white and they are white. I think I get along with them because we have the same background - all lived in the same general area for several generations.

Answer by missanc at 10:28 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Anon, so you wouldn't have married your DH if his parents didn't want him to marry you?
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• NO... I wouldnt have married him if I hated his family.
    I dont want a life of difficulties.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Just wondering, I married a man who's family can't stand me, and the feeling is mutual, but I love him so I married him anyway, we just don't see them
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I get along great with my MIL, she is from Puerto Rico & I am from Dominican Republic (born in NY), my FIL is from Dominican Republic like me but I haven't met him yet (due to personal circumstances) but I do look forward to meeting him soon & so does he, he is happy that I'm Dominican though because my DH ex's was from Guatemala/Ecuador & my in laws didn't like her that much lol (my MIL told me so) lol She said that it's better to stick with your own kind because you get along better & like the same things she's so happy her son is with me & not with his ex anymore & my DH family from his fathers side is also super happy that I'm Dominican just like them none of them really liked my DH ex & not only because of her race because of other issues as well (she's a crazy person), I feel so special lol.

VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I get along pretty well with my MIL, but it helps that she and my DH's first wife fought like cats and dogs. I have a very different personality than the 1st wife and DH and I live further away from her than he did before. Other pluses: I gave birth to her only grandchild and my own family is more like her family (similar educational levels, religious affiliation, socio-economic class, etc.) We're all white and from Texas/Louisiana.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I am white, so are my in laws. MIL passed before I met DF. FIL and BIL live in my basement. DF says they like me, but I feel they just tolerate me for room and board. BIL has used laundry detergent that I'm allergic to on purpose and he and FIL have lied about it. I ended up hospitalized for serious hives. They finally admitted to it. If they lie to me one more time they are out on the street.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 10:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• white/white
    love them.
    as 1st poster.. id never marry a guy if i didnt get along with parents.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I should have clarified.... I had a list of things I wanted in a man... I figured these things out while dating. 

It never got to the point of me falling in love with someone that didnt fit what I wanted out of life because I weeded those men out early on.  So I never got stuck in love with someone who would be a bad choice for me.

Does that make more sense.  

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2011