Hypothyroidism

As some of you have seen mentioned before, I'm not in the greatest of Health, but it could be a lot worse, mostly things I just need to deal with.

Over the past few months I was starting to feel worse and worse, and it turns out that the problem that my mother and younger sister have has hit me.
Looks like the problem is my thyroid, that it's not working quite properly.

I still consider myself very lucky since my younger sister has had to by hospitalized the the issue and has had it for years. My thyroid has been fine up until now, I was hoping that the problem had skipped me.
Nope.

I'll be starting meds today or tomorrow, so hopefully that will help. The doctor said she didn't think it was all that bad, just that I needed to get started on medicine.

I know that the problem can affect your weight, and that seems to be the case with me since I get exercise pretty much every day and would have normally been lost weight, but I've gained instead.

Anyone else have this problem? What has worked well for you? have you been able to loose weight in spite of it?
Can anyone offer insight from personal experiences?
Thanks!

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Health

• My ex had it, but never had a problem with his weight. Now that he's on medication he looks sickly he's so thin.

Answer by missanc at 10:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I've been on Synthroid for years. The weight is still hard to keep off, but if I do work at it diligently I can get it off. It's amazing how that little gland affects sooooooooooo many different things in your body!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My Anut's thyroid was damaged when she was a child. As a result she has both a hyper and hypo thyroid. Doctors did not believe she would ever see the end of highschool. As a result her weight has gone to extremes in both directions. She has however been able to stop taking medications and is in the best health ever by exploring nutrition and adding Reliv to her life... Here's her story, maybe it can help you. http://relivinformation.webs.com/whyibelieveinreliv.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:13 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• SabrinaMBowen, I'm glad that your aunt is doing better, but it seems that the site tells most about her story and I'm wondering if you could provide a link to tell what are the ingredients of this product.

thanks!
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have had hypothyroidism for 19 years and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The weight fluxuates as it chooses; truly I have just learned to live with it. No amount of diet or exercise ever made a difference. Also, if you don't take your medication regularly and have your levels checked regularly, you could wind up in the hospital almost dead like I did. It sucks ass and isn't something to mess around with.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011