Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support Reduction?????

I recently went back to court for custody issues. During court the ex asked for a reduction in child support and the judge would not hear it due to he had no attorney and had not filed the appropriate papers for a reduction. He is over a 1000.00 behind and counting. I got a call today stating he was filing for a reduction. While in court he said he was drawing unemployment benefits. I just found out he was denied benefits so he lied in court. He never pays on time when he does pay. I may get nothing for a month and then he catches up but now he has just stopped paying by saying he has no job and does not want to take a minimum wage job because he thinks the kids deserve better. I have his text's saved by the way. How likely is he to get a reduction because I am doing it all by myself right now and he is not carrying ins like he was ordered Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • Just relax the court always favors the mother especially when he was ordered to pay child support obviously he did not win this one.
    No matter what he does he can not take your kids he might be very behind on cs but he would have to continue to pay until he is done no matter the age of the kids here in Texas that is. GL
    Don't worry about a thing... he will pay.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • Submit all evidence to your attorney or when you go to court, present it then. He won't get away with it for long. The back support will just keep adding up plus interest. Judges deal with this garbage all the time and they see right through dead beat dads, and mom's for that matter. It might take time, but it will catch up to him in the long run.

    Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • What state. A lot depends on that. In my state WV if he loses a job he can file for a reduction and the amount gets adjusted based on unemployment or current wages. He still owes back support up till he filed. So he would have to pay the new amount plus back support. In my state the min per month is $50 and that is if he has no income at all. The judge will also tell him to get a job and they don't care if it is flipping burgers he will have to get one and they will set up another court date to allow him to get a job. If he still doesn't have one by the second date the judge will go off on him and start asking for him to turn over proof of handing in apps. It gets nasty on him after a while if he doesn't find something.


    Answer by babyfat5 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • I am in Arkansas

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • Whoo hoo! What part of Arkansas? My whole family is from there!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • central near Little Rock.. Whoo Pig Soooiii

    Answer by rook289 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • Most states are women states, and that means you dont have to worry about him getting custody of them. As far as the reduction, they will evaluate his income, if its less than he was making and less than you, he might be awarded the reduction. If you think its too little talk to the attorney on your side and let them know why you want to fight it. I know when i went i had to agree on the amount that was awarded to me. My ex and I get along and he gives me cash along with the ordered support so i didnt care if it was high or not.

    Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • My husband has to pay child support for twins that he has never been able to see, the state automatically deducts from his checking, we are married and have a newborn together (we didn't know the mother was pregnant when we met, and married) so b/c of his situation me and our daughter go without and there is never extra expenses. What's sad is the mother is a crack head or used to be that's why my husband left her, and none of this is fair to my daughter and myself, also this is a Woman State, and he is a far better human being than her, I wouldn't mind adopting the twins to raise them as my own, they would have a real family and the money we use on them would be for their benefit not for her bad habit.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.