Why do so many women dread/hate going to the gynecologist?

IMO, its maintanence, just like getting the oil changed in your vehicle.
why are some women squeamish about it, like its the worse possible thing they could do?
(and yes, i would understand if there was a history of sexual abuse, etc...)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 11:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Health

• I actually always dreaded the dentist (still do), more than the GYN. I had a total hysterectomy 4 years ago, so I don't have to worry about it anymore, but it never really bothered me much. A few minutes of discomfort is a small price to pay to know whether or not something is wrong.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It's the happiest place on earth! If I hold still I get a sucker in the end! Lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• because it's gross. i don't want a huge metal clamp shoved in there, and then a hand. it feels horrible, you feel gross after. it's the worst time of the year
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• There are a lot of things they can do. They can not be gentle. They can say or do something that makes you really uncomfortable (see: www.myobsaidwhat.com), and it's just not a happy thing to go in and have someone you've never met before pry open your vagina and have a looksee. Most of us only like to have our genitals touched by someone else in a sexual manner, and so trying to disassociate the sexuality from someone else touching you is hard for some, and then having instruments in there is scary.

I am not a very nervous person, but I sweated the whole day before my first gyn exam, and developed a rash all over my body because I was so nervous. Then the lady doing it acted like I did something wrong by taking off my bottoms and covering with that paper sheet. NO ONE ever told me what to expect, I was mortified.

And I've never been sexually abused.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I am very pregnant so I have been going every week. Doesn't bother me at all except for the $20 co-pays for all the sonos & blood work. But going for a yearly checkup is no big deal for me. Better safe then sorry.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:29 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It's not my favorite thing to do but I go because my mom had uterine cancer and my father had cancer also so it's maintenance
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Nice looking vag......lmao
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• BTW, I know of two ladies that recently passed away due to ovarian/uterine Cancer. They had not been to the OBGYN since their children were born about 20-30 years earlier. They may still be here if they had received early detection of their Cancer. It breaks my heart. I am not one to run to the Dr. at every sign of something but I really try & force myself to get checked yearly to avoid problems. Early detection is the key. This was a good question!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Cause I don't like anyone seeing my hoohah, even my husband!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I always make sure I go but I totally agree with momo.....it's just uncomfortable
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 14, 2011