When cooking candied yams, do I need to boil the sweet potato first, or just cut it up and bake it?

I usually cut my sweet potatoes up and boil them, then lay them in a dish with butter and brown sugar and marshmallows and bake them. But if just put the raw potatoes in the pan with all the "candies", will they cook in the oven??

iluvpink0701

Asked by iluvpink0701 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Peel them, cut in rough cut pieces(about the size you would get ina can) place in a glass baking dish and drizzle with mixture of melted butter, brown sugar and a touch of orange juice and ground cinnamon. Cover and bake at 350 until the yams/sweet potatoes piece easily with a fork usually 30-45 mins. An hour if pieces are too large, Uncover and place your mashmallows on top. Watch closely, bake uncovered until golden brown and puffed. Thats how I do them anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Aren't yams different from sweet potatoes?
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Sweet potatoes take about an hour to bake, so I don't think that would work, but if you were to put them in, covered in foil, bake for an hour THEN uncover, top with marshmallows and bake til brown, that would probably work.

Not something I've tried. I usually just bake my sweet potatoes whole, peel, mash with the good stuff, and cover with marshmallows then bake for 10 minutes or so.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• you must be talking about fresh yams. I only have used the caned ones . Sorry can't really help.
    But I have herd you can bake yams like you do a potatoe a potatoe. Sorry I thinlk that was sweet potatoes.

Answer by louise2 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• grrr..that should read PIERCE easily with a fork
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2008