Overweight hubby?

This is not to bash my husband at all. I love him so much and am attracted to him no matter what. But about 2 months ago, he had to go to the doctor for a minor knee problem and he was told he falls in the category of Obese. The doctor also recommended he get tested for type 2 diabetes. This absolutely terrified me. I knew he was overweight, but he's really tall...6'4...and never really thought it an issue. He's an ex college football player so I always just assumed his body type big. Either way, we've been trying to be healthier. But the other day I took his car to the store and noticed alot of candy bar wrappers, and fast food bags under his seat.

I really want to discuss this with him because I'm concerned about him and want him to be healthy. Any suggestions on how to lightly bring this up? He's the kindest guy I know and don't want to hurt him at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• Just say, "Baby, I was thinking about what the doctor said.. and I'm scared to death. I think we should work out together so we can both be healthy. I'll make healthy dinners too!! "
    =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I would start it off how you started off this question. You love him and you are attracted to him but you are worried for his health... gl
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Thanks...so you wouldn't mention anything about finding the food wrappers? I don't want to be accusatory...but at the same time...it bothers me that he's sneaking the food.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• If you do it gently I think it would be okay. Just tell him you came across them and you are worried that he's not concerned for himself. If it's done gently I think it best if you are honest and put it all out there.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Tell him "Honey I found junk food in your car & I'm very concerned about your health, I want you to please take care of yourself because I wouldn't want anything to happen to you I don't know what I would do without you I love you so much" then try & cry (which us women are experts at doing lol) that should get to him & I'm sure he will try his best to take care of himself, I did that to my DH & he is trying a day at a time to eat better, it's harder for men to eat a salad or a fruit or veggies then it is for us women we love those things men in the other hand it's a little more difficult, just be a little patient & try to make his meals take control of his food intake. GL!

VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think you should tell him that you were cleaning out his car (you wanted to do somthing nice for him) and found that stuff. Than I think you should have a heart to heart with him. Tell him you are concerned for his health, because it is important to you that you spend another 20 years together. Tell him this is coming from a place of love and that your concerns ar based on what the doctor said, not his apperance. Tell him he is the sexiest man alive according to you, and then show him how you still feel about that. Post coital, reiterate that you are concerned and get him to commit to a program. I reccomend weight watchers. Its easy to follow, based on medical science, and they have a diabetics program. They have group meetings so you can meet like minded people, and an app for smart phones that is super easy! This is also somthing fun you can do together. Hes got a much better chance of sticking to a program if you are too.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 12:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Has he been tested? 'Cause Type 2 is a bigger deal than people think and it will mess with you unless you take it seriously and make some changes. Tell him you want him to have a long, HEALTHY life with you. Yes, I would confront him abut the food/candy wrappers. He needs the wake up call and to know that you're watching and looking out for his best interests. (I'm a Type 2 myself)

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I dont there is anything you can really impact on his decision to be obese. Nothing works, unless you know the underlying reason why he overeats these unhealthy foods. In my family there are some fat relatives. Their wives could not do a thing about it over years. maybe, if you can cotrol his car movement and times of food. Maybe...maybe to give hime healthier snacks through the day...
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 1:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Ha....the candy wrappers bit reminded me of my husband. My husband is overweight as well. I wouldn't really believe the obesity charts. I was 5'5, 175 pounds, that is considered obese for me, but, I just have a big butt and thick thighs, and I didn't look fat, I was actually skinny. It just depends on body type. Back to my husband. He was told he was obese and to get checked for diabetes, but, they told him he was in really good health, blood pressure was perfect, no signs of diabetes, hes just heavy. It would be good to go get him tested for it just in case, but, don't be worried unless he actually has it. It doesn't hurt to eat better either.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• just be honest and to the point and explain its not about looks its about health and you are scared.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 3:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011