When does the doctor start checking you to see if you are dilated or anything else?

With my first baby I went into preterm labor early so they were always checking me and all that crap but this time I haven't had to get checked or take of any clothes once yet. (yay) Anyway I am 33 weeks and 5 days. Are they going to have to check anything soon? Thanks Ladies :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It depends on the doctor and if you have a reason for them to check you. With mine it was usually around 36-37 weeks.

Answer by gemgem at 12:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I didn't get checked till 38 weeks.
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 12:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I started having some problems towards the end of my pregnancy and I think that was the only reason he checked me. It was at 38 weeks, almost 39.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 12:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Around 35 weeks. But they don't need to check if it makes you uncomfortable. It doesn't really mean anything, you can be 4cm dilated and not go into labor for weeks, or your cervix could be completely closed and you could go into labor and have the baby quickly. The dilation checks are really unnecessary and stress the mom more imo.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yay!! So maybe I wont get checked till I go into labor! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You can refuse the checks. Also do make sure you get the Strep B swab at 35 weeks, it is very important.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• What is the strep B swab? I don't remember getting that with my first baby but they were doing so much down there maybe I didn't notice...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It is just a swab they take of your vagina to test for Group B strep. It is pretty routine here now but it wasn't when I had my first baby. Anyway, GBS can cause some serious problems with the baby if it goes undiagnosed. If you test positive, they just make sure to give an antibiotic when you are in labor. Not big deal, but it is important. You should ask to make sure you are getting it done.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Okay thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You don't HAVE to be checked. If everything is going smooth there's no reason for their hand to be up there. It doesn't DO anything, you can be dilated for weeks. If they ask it probably won't be until 37-39 weeks.
    mrspnut82

Answer by mrspnut82 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2011