Comfort feeding?

My babys likes to fall asleep to bottles.
Should i break this habit?
Will it make them reley on food for comfort or something when they get older?
i know hes not hungry and he wont accept the paci is there any way i can change that?i know its not the paci (long story) i heard u can put some tasty gas drops on it or something? he has gas so i figured it wouldnt hurt anything but i figured id ask to make sure.
im guessing theres nothing u can give to a 2 month old that dosent include wasting formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At this age no I wouldn't break the habit. Later perhaps but by then they will discover other ways to comfort themselves. Right now they need to know mommy and daddy is there for them. My DS is almost a month and comfort nurses. If I can comfort him w/o nursing (and I know he doesn't need to nurse) I do that, but at this age I don't think its bad to comfort feed.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I really tried hard NOT to let my kids fall asleep while eating. My son was 3 months old when I stoped feeding him at bedtime, my daughter was younger than that. I didn't want my kids to be "soothed" by bottles or breast. But my son also had a pacifier and my daughter sucked her finger, so they were self soothing so it wasn't that hard to do
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I always tried to keep my kids awake until they were finished nursing and then I put them down in their crib very drowsy but awake. At 2 months, I would try to start finding other ways to comfort him but there may be times that only the bottle will do. My 1st and 4th took pacis, but my 2nd, 3rd, and 5th wouldn't no matter how hard I pushed it! I did start a lovey about that age - a very small blanket with an animal head on it, and I just had it around them all the time when they were awake and asleep. As they got older, that helped comfort them.

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Be aware that falling asleep with a bottle in the mouth can damage little teeth.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yes...it could damage teeth even before they are in! I would try and pull the bottle out as he starts to doze off and lay him down when he's really drowsy and try patting him to sleep. Soon he won't need the bottle to fall asleep to :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011