Will tanning dry up or hurt my breast milk?

My son is 5 weeks old and I want to continue breast feeding.. I have been tanning and havn't noticed any difference yet but its only been 4 days.. does anyone know if tanning will dry up or hurt my milk?

alex90_x

Asked by alex90_x at 7:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no as long as you don't tan when you should be relieving your breasts of milk, feeding, or are dehydrated. Make sure that you drink plenty of water before you go into the tanning salon as well as ask your doctor about if the lotion you will be using may enter your breast milk. Make sure to take a good shower or at least wash off your breasts before feeding or pumping after tanning too!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 7:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I don't know about tanning and breast milk. I would like to caution you about Skin cancer though. Having gone through pre skin cancer treatments I would not recommend tanning to anyone. Booths are worse than the sun as the light is more intense. Remember it is cumulative. Please be careful.
    Gamom957

Answer by Gamom957 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have shared this with another cafemom user when she asked the same question.....

It should not hurt your supply, but your skin will beg you not to go. I used tanning beds and laying out when I was in high school because I wanted to be tan, but now I am only 31 and have had to have a cancerous mole removed from my forehead (leaving a permanent scar). PLEASE... take care of your skin, I told my dermatologist that I had not tanned in years and he told me that 80% of my skin damage was done in my teens!!! I'll probably have more places/problems as I age. Pass this info on.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2008