Do you see an even higher influx of self centered people lately? VENT

My upstairs neighbor is one of these. She does these little things that aren't quite enough to call the landlord about. Last night,her friend was setting fireworks off in the driveway about 5 feet from our car! I opened the door and yelled,'hey! think you could do that somewhere else instead of right behind my car!?' She just turned around and waved me off.
Apparently they feel they have the right to be setting them off in June! Can't call the cops because they'd be done before they got here. She puts her dog out at 6am and it bark bark barks for hours and she ignores it! Seems like every day she has friends over and there's 3 extra cars in the driveway blocking my husband from getting in. Mention it to her and you get the eyeroll and the hand flick. My landlord tells me to work it out amongst ourselves unless its something illegal.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• I do believe that self-centeredness is on the increase. It's pretty evident everywhere I go, even on the streets. The speed limit on our street is 35 miles per hour, which I try to honor because it is the law and it is dangerous to drive any faster. I constantly have people ride my bumper and then blow their horns at me when I turn into my driveway. I don't know what the answer to the problem is except to teach our children and grandchildren to respect the rights of others and hope that maybe the next generation will be a bit less selfish than the present one.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Your landlord is a prick! Our landlords are great and don't have a problem with backing us up. How much longer do you each have on your leases?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think there probably is. I used to live in a bigger city and it was like that alot. I am glad to live in a rural area in the south now. People tend to show more compassion and understanding but we still run into a few bastards.

Answer by gemgem at 12:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• This probably won't help the situation, but when your hubby comes home from work and has no parking spot, have him block someone in. Then take your sweet ass time moving the car when that person wants to leave. As for the dog, get a super soaker and hose it down every time it barks at the crack of dawn.

Like I said though, this probably won't help the situation at all, but these Nightmare Neighbors have already shown to you they don't care about anyone but themselves. MAYBE (not likely) a dose of what they're doing to you will wake them up and they'll be better neighbors.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yes! Just yesterday we had one of the neighborhood kids take a case of coke OUT OF MY VAN and pass them out to all his friends, unbeknownst to me until my DH went to get them out and bring them in. The only way we found out is because there is a new tenant, one of DH's employees, and when my DH mentioned it, fussing about it or whatever, HE told us who took it and what happened. Then he called his wife, told her, and the wife went to the parents to tell them what had happened. All they said was 'Sorry.' and shrugged. This kid was definitely old enough to know better, he is my DD's age- around 8 or 9- and he is unsupervised 99% of the time. The parents around here don't care enough to actually watch their children, and it's common for children to destroy other tenants' things and nothing be done about it. The landlord, however, WILL say something, but I'm just appalled at what some of these people let their kids do.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• yes!!! GAH! Drives me bonkers! I have one neighbor whose dog barks and howls and any other noise dogs make, anywhere between 4 and 6 am. Hubs sister didn't come to our son's first birthday party because she didn't want to look at my nephews father's face! Honestly, I could keep going but those are the two that stick out the most at the moment lol
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have had managers like that and really what it is they feel like they aren't going to get anywhere either because people like your neighbor don't give a hoot about anyone but themselves and their own fun. And yes there are more and more of them out there. Self centered people are becoming the norm and there is nothing you can do because they do not see themselves as a problem they see everyone else with the problem maybe we should call it the "Charlie Sheen disorder" lol
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Oh... I agree with you that she can leave! We have been in our current place for 11 years and have had nightmare neighbors too. But our landlord has not put up with their crap

. Start parking diagonally so your husband can have a parking spot. It will require you to have to move your car whenever he comes or goes, but will ensure he has a spot when he comes home. Also for the dog, I would get something like this...

http://ww2.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?source=CMPSHOP&cm_ven=FROOGLE&sku=75520

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Ah Hell yeah.
    And I dont like it Ither.
    I live close to Tulsa Oklahoma.
    And there are some Stuck up s-o-b's out here.
    Noisy ones to. With Noisy rich children.
    Why dose it have to be this way is what I am asking.
    There is this guy at the library who has 2 cell phones and is wearing all underamor stuff preatty cheaky.
    LOL.
    Thanks for venting
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• We've been here 8 years. SHE can leave

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2011