Was my reaction wrong?

Ok I'm 11 weeks pregnant and I've been having some family issues lately. Well me and my mom have a mother daughter weekend planned for just me and her. Well this afternoon she tells me shes inviting her mom. Me and my grandmother do not get along at all we are always fighting. Well since I've got pregnant I've not going around her that much just because I know stress is not good on the baby and thats not a situation I want to be put in. Well when she told me this I told her "Fine I wont go." I was so looking forward to this weekend with her and now it looks like its not going to happen. Was my reaction wrong?

Vivian0331

Asked by Vivian0331 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• I think you need to talk to your mom and let her know that your rocky relationship with your grandma is causing unwanted stress. Let her know that you would like to have a mom/daughter weekend with just her, but you can't spend a weekend with your grandma. Good luck.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Does your mom know how you feel? explain to her you were lookinf foward to it just being you and her and you wish she would have asked you before inviting her...I would still go...just don't pay your g-ma any mind and stress won't affect your baby...just you...don;t let your g-ma ruin your plans go have a good time and ignore her!
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You were not wrong.Let some time pass.And call you mom to rescedule your time with her.You may want to explain your reasons to your mom at a later time.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Does you mom clearly understands, that grandma causes you stress? and stress and pregnancy are not firends. Let her know this. Maybe she will change arrangements, and if she doesnt, dont worry too much. Make a weekend for yourself in spa or somewhere far away from people and troubles.
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 1:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Your reaction may have been a little hormonal and blunt, but you were right to tell your mom that you did not want to go if your grandma was going along. If your relationship with her really causes you that much stress then you should not have to subject yourself to it. Does your mom know how upsetting asking your grandma along would be. If so then why would she do it. I feel bad that your mother daughter bonding weekend may have been ruined for you!
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 1:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I dont think it was wrong. If your mom knows how you feel about your gram she shouldnt have put you in that position especially being pregnant!
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 1:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• No your reaction wasn't wrong, that was your mother instinct that popped out lol meaning you know being around your grandmother causes you stress & since stress is not good for pregnant women (especially in early pregnancy) then you prefer to stay away from your grandmother for now, you should explain that to your mom & just tell her you want it to be you & her time just mom & daughter day not mom, daughter & grandmother day.

VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think your mom was rude for inviting your grandma when you guys never discussed her coming along. So if it were me, I would be pissed at my mom.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My mother used to try this BS on me just to try to get me and grandma to talk. We didnt speak for 18 years. She's the one that disowned me. My mom would try to make us sit next to each other at family functions, stick us in the same car to go out as family, and even locked us in a room together once! I couldnt stand her!!! She disowned me for going to art college. She said I wasnt going to meet a good husband there so I was wasting my life/time/parents money. She said I was going to paint naked people. I corrected her, cause Im a smart ass when offended. I said, "actually Im gong to paint pictures of naked people". The next time I spoke to her was over the phone. She was in the hospital with gallstones and refusing to get it taken out (religious nut I tell you !) Mom asked me to talk to her cause I had mine taken out. I did. I talked her into it, but it was to late. She had had the stones for years and it ruptured. cont...
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• She died the next day. My mom asked me if I wouold be at the funeral? No. She asked me if I was glad I had talked to her? No. She asked me if I felt guilty for telling her to have the operation? No. Truthfully, I still hate that bitch and Im glad shes dead. So, if your mom wants to keep pushing you to give a damn about your grandma, feel free to print this story and read it to her. The only person that was hurting in this whole situation was my mom, and I cant understand why she gave a damn either?!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011