Wanting to start running at 47...

I posted this on FB and got some good resources - Mayo clinic running 5k, Couch to 5K (thanks Jess!), etc. Now I want personal experience advice.

I am the one who always lagged behind in high school at running track when it was required. I ran a very small bit in high school with my SIL back in '80, but wasn't very good at it. I am the one who's legs just won't move fast... How does one get into running, esp distance? Not fast, necessarily, but with endurance. Evidently I have to run 5 miles to qualify for black belt in my Martial Arts program. That's some years off, but I figure I'd start now. I don't think I'll ever be up to marathon strength, but, you never know. 5K is my goal right now.

Are there any other people who started running in their 40's? Any clues on how to start, how much to start, how fast to start, what kind of shoes, etc etc etc. Keep in mind I'm 47 and asthmatic, and have Parkinson's.

The best running shoes? Not too expensive, for women with big, flat feet (ie: size 12 women's).

Please - no work at home scams (and they all are to me), selling, sales pitches, etc. I am looking for advice from people with similar experiences only. I don't need any supplements, diet things (am not even remotely overweight) and am not looking to buy anything.

WillowdancerTR

Asked by WillowdancerTR at 1:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Health

• I have no advice for you. I just want to say that I think is it AWESOME that you want to take it up. My sister has never been a runner either, but she got a wild hair and took it up. She is now running a few times a week and LOVES it.

Good LUCK!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think your best bet is to consult with your doctor considering your health issues, you should also invest on a good pair of running shoes, my hubby just got some air Nikes which are somewhat similar to the ones that come with the toes, only this one doesn't but it is great for running. He runs 5 miles everyday and swears by them! I would also tell you start slow and work your way up there to mileage, good luck!

Answer by older at 1:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Thanks, ladies! Any and all good advice and encouragement is appreciated.
    WillowdancerTR

Comment by WillowdancerTR (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2011