Baby shower gift returns?

So, I recently had my baby shower, and I got some good stuff, but some people didn't show up to my baby shower, so they just sent a gift...and I got some doubles. Like, 2 bathtubs, 2 baby bouncers, 2 of the same onsie packs, and a million and one blankets.

Do you even tell people that you've taken back their gift, or do you just do it and not say anything? Do people get offended if you take their gift back? I wish they were the exact same thing, but its 2 different bathtubs, and 2 different bouncers. What if they ask for pictures of my son in them or something? I don't want to keep the extras because, what would be the point in that, you know? Plus we don't have that much space to begin with and it would just get really crowded.

So, do I take them back and just not say anything, or tell people I took it back?

(I'm putting this under, both pregnancy and relationships)

monstersmommy20

Asked by monstersmommy20 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• Take them back & get a store credit for extra things you may need like diapers or clothes. I would not be offended if you returned my gift, I would be happy that you are getting something you really need for the baby. Usually people give the gift with the gift receipt attached for that reason. You are going to need clothes for the next season too. I would not say anything to the person unless they ask. Then say you received two & one was not returnable but you bought something you really needed but did not get for the shower.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I probably wouldn't say anything unless they asked, and then just tell 'em the truth. You had already received a similar item and needed to get something else, so you went and exchanged it.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• this is why they invented the 'gift reciept'. I allways include one in my gifts. In the spirit of giving, I believe the intention was to give you stuff you needed that would be useful for the baby. That being said, if what I gave you wasnt useful I would hope you would return it and use the money to buy somthing else that you needed for the baby. I realize that not everyone on this earth sees it this way. Some people give simply for the attention they will recieve for being giving. If someone does feel this way and makes a huge stink about you returning thier gift, than they will have effectively blown thier cover and be showing the world how selfish they really are. Do you really care what someone like that thinks? just return them.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You absolutely take it back (who needs two tubs?) and you exchange for something else you still need or want, or just get the cash or a gift card. You definitely do not tell anyone you returned their gift, you just send a gracious thank you note for the item and leave it at that. If anyone asks later, you simply say you got duplicates of their gift and had to return something. It's the thought that counts, in that they thought enough to send you a gift, and you thought enough to send a thank you note. I actually returned some of my gifts and got gift cards to Target, which I saved and used for diapers and other odds and ends once the baby came, and it was really handy to have that extra money to spend when I needed it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Don't say a word. This happens and it's common practice to take back duplicate gifts from baby showers, weddings, etc.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011