Muslem's tell me about your faith

I am a Christian so this is not about conversion, but it seems to me that we in the western world make judgements about your faith before we know anything about it. So I would like to know about your faith.
I know that you believe in one God just as Christians and Jews do. You use the name Allah (please forgive me if I misspell any of this) Christians and Jews use the name Jehovia or Adoni. Christianity believes that Jesus is God in fleash and the savior of mankind, or the messiah.

So tell me whatever else you would like me or any one else to know. And thank you in advance for what I'm going to learn from you.

quinnmommy

Asked by quinnmommy at 1:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Go to www.islamreligion.com

That's a really good site for learning the basics and they have TONS of articles!
    OhMaria

Answer by OhMaria at 4:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Is there anything specific that you want to know? Islam comes from the root salaam (peace) and means submission. It is a peaceful submission to God. It has 5 pillars of belief 1. Shahada- There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger. 2. Prayer/Worship (5 times a day). 3. Zakat (Charity) 4. Fasting (the whole month of Ramadan) and 5. Hajj (a pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in our life). There are also 6 articles of faith that we believe 1. in Allah 2. in his angels 3. in the holy books (torah, zabor (given to david), injeel (given to Jesus), and the Qur'an (given to Muhammad)) 4. Belief in the messengers/prophets including but not limited to Adam, Noah, Abraham, Ishamel, Isaac, David, Jesus, and Muhammad. 5. belief in the day of Judgement and 6. Belief in Gods will. If you are interested in more information on any of these things or anything else please feel free to ask or elaborate on your question.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 3:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Muslims think that Jesus (peace be upon him) wasn't god's (Allah) son but his messenger. That's all I know lol
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I'm not a Muslim, but Islam is a religion that has a special place in my heart. They worship the God of Abraham, just as we Christians and Jews do. Christians and Jews trace their history through Isaac, and Muslims through his half brother Ishmael. They revere and respect Jesus as a great prophet, but do not believe that he was God or literally God's son. They also reject the idea of the atonement and don't believe he actually died on the cross (I think they say that he was raised up because God wouldn't subject him to death). They do believe in the second coming and the virgin birth, though.
    The Quran also discusses things like Adam and Eve and the garden and Moses and Noah, but there are slight differences in their versions of the narratives. So Islam is related to Judaism and Christianity. They believe that the Quran is the last revelation from God, and Muhammad the last prophet. (continued)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I knew this would not be popular!!!!
    Anonymous

• There is a lot more you could learn, like the Five Pillars and things like that, but for a quick comparison of the three Abrahamic faiths you can look at this chart, here :

http://www.religionfacts.com/islam/comparison_charts/islam_judaism_christianity.htm

and that site also has a lot of information on Islam, too, starting here:

http://www.religionfacts.com/islam/index.htm

I think it's great that you're asking, that you want to learn about it and understand more than just the judgments made about it. It really is a beautiful, but misunderstood, religion. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• A religion (whatever it is) is very broad to just type now its faith or beliefs..Cassandra just said the main things we have to do/believe to be a Muslim..these are the basics.But there are alot more to know..if you can read Quran,you would know alot,becaue Quran is a book that guide us as muslims in our lives..Islam is not just a religion,or a belief,its a lifestyle!
    But the MAIN thing that makes anybody a muslim is "Shahada" (There is no God but Allah,and Muhammed is His messenger) We are also ordered by Allah to believe,love and respect all the messengers/prophets.We believe in Jesus,exactly like we believe in Muhammed,But We believe He is Allah's mesenger,not son..We believe that God is one God: As mentioned in Holy Qur'an:
    "He is Allah,the One
    Allah,the eternally Besought of all
    He begetteth not,nor was begotten
    And there is none compareable unto Him"
    newmom300

Answer by newmom300 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011