How was your DH/SO during your labor and deliver?

Im kinda freaking out about my husband annoying me during this already crazy time. He just doesn't seem to understand that I need alot of support and and him to be involved and WANT to be involved. I can totally picture myself kicking him and not even wanting him there because he just isnt doing what I want or being supportive enough and upsetting my feelings. Did you feel this way and everything was perfect?? LOL

lil_momma_vdv

Asked by lil_momma_vdv at 1:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I thought the same, but when the time came he was my rock, for all three, including my c section!!! after it was over he kept telling me he literary knew me inside and out! lol!

Answer by older at 1:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I had already had 2 kids before I met my husband. Apparently he forgot this because he was more concerned with helping me get through the contractions and supporting me as I pushed. Right after she was born, he leaned over and kissed me. Then told me what a great job I had done and how much he loved me. All this took so much time that the doctor didn't even bother asking him if he was interested in cutting the cord, so he missed that part. For our 2nd, baby came before he even got there so he missed it. This time, we are hoping he'll make it AND cut the cord because he'll realize I really don't need another labor coach.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• He was awesome! He gave me my space, in fact he gave me 7,000 miles of space, lol. He was in Iraq but he did call all throughout my labor and right after I got out of the recovery room ( I had to have a c-section). Anyways, before going into labor, I would discuss with him and come to an understanding about if you need some space or if he needs a break, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My ex husband was great, he watched the monitors that tells you when I was having a contraction. He could not watch the baby be born though. He passed out with our first baby. The other two I told him to just stay up by my head.

My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 2:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• We were both pretty calm and normal. The one thing he did that annoyed the hell out of me was that he ate donuts in front of me during my first labor, when I was starving and they wouldn't let me eat. Other than that, he was fine. Going into it, I expected to want him to talk to me or massage my back or something, but when I was actually in labor, I just wanted to be still and quiet. You just never know how you will handle labor or how your husband will until it happens.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Mine was awful. I got in my car and he said he was too nervous to drive my car...made me get in his bumpy truck...which had no gas. So, on the already 40 minute drive to the hospital we had to stop and get gas (my tank had been full). Then he had to run through McDonald's to get breakfast b/c he was hungry. I was so pissed off at him I started screaming. Once I got settled into the hospital I sent him to the store to buy me something just to get him out! OH and the best part is that while I was in labor he pulled out the video camera and the dr actually let him video from DOWN THERE...have you ever heard of a dr letting that happen? It was my worst nightmare.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Also, when my first was born and had to be resuscitated, the hospital staff said he could go to the NICU with our son, but he refused because he wanted to stay with me while I was stitched up. He waited until we could go together to be with our son.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• my daughter's father wasnt at all supportive during the pregnancy however during the delivery even though he was scared he done his best infact while i was running out of energy to push my mom told him to say something and tick me off, and so he popped up and said so what ya doin? it struck the right cord bc as i was saying Im giving brith you idiot what do you think???!!! that was the last push lol. even though we werent together then or now we are still friends and bc of that i thank him for ticking me off in the end so our daughter could get here :) so even when the men dont act like they care or arent as supportive as we want we got to remember they are even more clueless than we ive them credit and sometimes that little bit of annoance is just what you need in the end to keep your sanity
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My SO was trying to be way too supportive. I didn't have an epidural so I didn't want anyone rubbing my back and hovering over me. When I was pushing he was counting to ten....and I couldn't handle it anymore. I told him to STFU and back off. I hurt HIS feeling. I apologized afterwards.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 2:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• DH is older and rather old fashioned. At first he didn't want to be in the delivery room with me fearing squeamishness. I suggested he stay during the labor and if he needed to step out, he could. Well, he was just FASCINATED by the whole process. I had an epidural so everything was very calm during the labor. When DD was actually being born, he commented, to the delight of the doctors in the delivery room "it looks just like it does with cattle!" Anyway, the only thing he didn't want to do was cut the cord. That was ok. My mom did the honors.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2011