I have a 10 month old and plan on conceiving again soon.

I'm not sure what to do about breastfeeding. Can you still breastfeed while you are pregnant? And if so, what about after the second baby is born? Can I nurse two kids at the same time? Or would that be like stealing the new babies milk supply? So confusing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby is 10 months old, you should be weaning him of soon anyways , or maybe I am mistaken on that.

Answer by louise2 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You can still bf while pregnant, although some babies wean themselves - I have heard the milk's tastes sometimes change. Nursing 2 at once is called tandem nursing, and it can be done as well.

Kellymom.com is a great resource for it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I'd wait to conceive until after you're done bf. Let your baby have all the milk he/she wants, and when they self wean then think about the next one!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i agree with louise2... you should start feeding solids at least by the time the next baby will be born ;) because your child already is 10months old.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You can ABSOLUTELY continue to breastfeed your baby even throughout your pregnancy. I got pregnant with my second when my son was only 4 months old, and I continued to breastfeed him. I did run into an issue with my milk supply dropping during my pregnancy, and have since had to stop nursing due to it causing cramping, a bad sign for me as I have a history of pre-term labor. I do know that many woman are able to successfully breastfeed through pregnancy though. You can also definitely nurse both children at the same time, it's called tandem nursing. Even though I've had to wean my son I plan to offer the breast to him once again after my new little one arrives, my hope is that it will help with my milk supply as I didn't have the best supply with my son. Best of luck to you! If you need someone to talk to feel free to send me a message, my son is 10 months old as well!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Answered at 7:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 by: louise2 Your baby is 10 months old, you should be weaning him of soon anyways , or maybe I am mistaken on that.

Yeah you are. (not being mean) It's suggested that women bf for a MINIMUM of one year and up to two. I'd wait to conceive until AFTER you're done. Let this baby be the baby for awhile longer and not jump right back into trying to have another.

MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• They do need more than just breastmilk around 6 months though, at least that's what I learned at WIC, that's why you start feeding cereal for iron around 6 months. I don't think you can exclusively bf for 1 year...
    Anonymous

• Omg I sure wouldn't want to exclusively for a year. But my doc and all the people I've talked to said that they should still be getting breastmilk for at least a year.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• That is very true MarlyeGirl, I had to stop though because I hated being bitten around 10 months :( But, back on topic..........
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Oh, I'm definitely not exclusively breastfeeding. I already feed him plenty of solids and juice and everything. I do still nurse him throughout the day though. I will probably taper off little by little as he eats more real food. But they do need breast milk or formula till they're one. And I would like to keep breastfeeding for as long as possible. (within reason!)
    Anonymous