Can you request general anesthesia when having a c-section or do they force you to have an epidural or spinal block?

I've had 4 vaginal births but I always have a fear that because of me being overweight or for any other reason, doctors will try to talk me into a c-section. If so, can I do it on my own terms, like choosing to be put to sleep?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• you would NOT want general anesthesia..that is passed right on through to the baby and it can be very dangerous..the spinal/epidural is very local for that very reason...I had one and it was wonderful...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Actually I think its more dangerous for someone who is overweight to have a c-section because there are more layers to cut through. If that were thier only reason to do a c-section..I'd be skeptical of it.
    But to answer your question, I've had 2 c-sections..they never did give me a choice to get anesthesia.It was either epidural or spinal...I think you can opt for anethesia if you wanted but I'm really not sure.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• They generally only do general anesthesia if it's an emergency (not always) or you are in too much of a panic and cannot control your breathing.

happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It is much safer to do a spinal. When you go under general, you always run the risk of respiratory issues . . . and they would have to monitor baby as well. it is just very risky.

I would venture to say that they would only put you to sleep during an absolute emergency where your life was threatened.

You weight should not be an issue unless your cblood pressure spikes and cannot be controlled during labor.

Good luck mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• When I was around 34 weeks, my doctor told me, after looking at my ultrasound, that my son was big and in a week or two we could talk about "delivery options". I asked her what she meant and she said, well, whether you'll have a c-section or not. I said that I wanted to deliver vaginally and she asked me if I really wanted to push out a 12 pound baby. I said that I wanted to try and if I could I would. He ended up coming before we discussed it at any subsequent visits. He was 8lbs. I delivered him naturally.
    And I know some very overweight women who delivered vaginally.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I've had 4 c-sections, they never asked me which I'd prefer and even if I wanted to be put out they wouldn't because I'm a severe asthmatic even though the spinal block sent me rushing into an attack but they gave me meds along with the oxygen.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 2:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You can discuss this with your Dictor but I wouldn't do a genral ....no way.
    And what is with this "force you" thing?my goodness. Nobody will you "force you" to do anything.
    WHy do young. inexperienced and high-maintenance people here at CM seem to despise the Medical Profession and accuse them of such horrible things? It is just so immature.
    Anonymous

• they normally do general anesthisia if it is emergency c-section not always but 9-10 they do and they only give you enough to knock you out for a little bit because you do wanna see ythat beautiful bab
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 2:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Well I for one would never want to be knocked out, dont you want to see the baby once it comes out. You don't HAVE to have a section because you are overweight. They exaggerate sometimes about how "huge" the baby is and omg you won't be able to push it out. They can be wrong on the U/S by a couple pounds.
    My friend just had a baby and she thought she would need a section cause her baby "was going to be huge" like at least 10lbs. The baby came out 8 something...
    mrspnut82

Answer by mrspnut82 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• When I was pregnant with my 2nd, the midwife told me that chances are because I'm overweight, I will have to have a c-section. Thank G-d the baby came on Christmas Day and she wasn't at the hospital.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2011