8 month old son allergic to sunscreen...suggestions

I bought Coppertone Pure and Simple and he broke out horribly. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do other than become night time people.

SweetOrangeMama

Asked by SweetOrangeMama at 2:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can buy California Baby in a tube & also in a thick cream roll on type. We have both. The roll on is good for short trips out. I put it on the back of my hand & dab my sons nose & ears etc. He has never gotten a burn or rash wearing it & he has very sensitive and fair skin. It got a really good safety rating too. There is also a sunscreen called "Badger" that is very safe but I heard it's greasy. California baby is not greasy but goes on white(you can see where you put it on) then disappears. Waterproof too!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• find one that is hypo allergenic, there are pleanty out there. Stay away from fragrances
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• He may not continue to be sensitive to sunscreen ingredients, but for now, I think you need to invest in some baby hats, rashguards, and keep him well out of the sun during mid-day.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• There are many hypoallergenic ones out there. I would try a few of them before giving up the day life.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• The ONLY one I would use on a baby or toddler is "California Baby 30 spf Sunscreen with no fragrance". It is very safe & little or no chemicals for their tender skin. You can get it at BabiesRus or online. Don't buy any of those other brands that they push for kids at the drug store. They are loaded with chemical poisons.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• also most 8 month olds aren't outside long enough to worry about it.. My kids were in covered strollers at that age so the sun didn't get to them.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• OMG my son was using coppertone sport and broke out that while on vacation. Pricly heat and lotion will do it plus eating certain candies like mints too. The hospital recommentded Banana Boat.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I would never use sun screen on a child that young. Sun tan lotion and sun screens use chemicals which cause cancer and stop the body from being able to make the right amounts of Vit. B because it stops the sun from reaching the skin... It's better to simply limit the sun exposure to 20-30 mins or less and wear loose, light clothing rather than going bare.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• burts Bees makes a sunscreen that is all natural. that coppertone and all that other stuff is crap. Look at the ingredients..it's full of parabens and PEG's...and for whatever reason they put fragrance in it....Burts bees is almost pure zinc and other minerals which is all you need anyway. they have plenty of natural and organic sunscreens to use..

calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• We were going swimming so wehad to use sunscreen. He has a hat, sunglasses, shirt, and shorts to wear but he still needs something. Thank you ILovemyPaulie I will look into that kind. The reason I got the one I did is because it had no dyes, no fragrances, etc.

SweetOrangeMama

Comment by SweetOrangeMama (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011