Breast feed or bottle feed?

I have heard so many stories of how breast feeding helps intellectually with children and babies who aren't breastfed grow up to be not as smart. Is this true? are there any factual reasons behind this?

Wanabmommy

Asked by Wanabmommy at 2:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast for minimum of 6 months then bottle.
    CMac26

Answer by CMac26 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• it has shown that the IQ increases by about 5 points..in my opinion, that's not the reason to BF...it's healthier and IF yo'ure able to do it, it's best for the baby. Now I BF for 8 months...she started biting me so I pumped until she was 13 months..she did have supplemental formula, but that's what worked best for us. it's up to what works best for baby AND mom...I think doing it for reasons other than health are irrelevant.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It's true but I agree with the person wh just posted breast is just best
    BlakeAbbimommy

Answer by BlakeAbbimommy at 2:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I breastfed my baby for the first yr! He turned 1 in May and if officially weened. He sleeps all night, eats food during day and isn't on a bottle! I believe is for the best, but I understand some mother's cannot do it.
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Breastmilk is best for babies. Formula is full of chemicals and fillers, while breastmilk is formulated spcifically for baby and contains just what baby needs. Just as each adult needs a different diet, so do babies. So the mothers body actually "reads" what the infant needs and makes milk with those nutrients in it, while formula can't do that. Plus mommy milk is more easily absorbed and digested than formula.

It's also been shown that those with a stronger bond to their parents have higher IQs - And breastfeeding allows for a stronger bond, although that is simply an added fact.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I don't intend to come across rude, here comes the big but, don't ask people what you should do, do what feels right to you. It's your business and your business alone. Good luck in your decision. Personally I've done both and see no differences in my chidren
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It is also recommended by pediatricians that BF babies be supplemented with vitamin D b/c there is not enough in BM.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• lawl just take your kid outside for vitamin d :P and i'd say breastmilk but to each their own
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 3:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have to tell you I tried breast feeding my oldest and after 4 months I had to stop. I was miserable and so was he. With my middle one I lasted about 3 1/2 months and with the youngest about 6 months. All of my children are very smart, straight A students, they all play sports and a musical instrument. My middle one has won writing awards and art contests, my oldest has also won awards and the baby of the group was asked to speak recently to all the residents coming in PICU, she was there last summer for 2 months.

So if you ask me I think you need to do what works for you and your baby. Yes there are studies that might show that breast milk is best although I think what really is best is what makes you and the baby happy. For me breast feeding was not what was best for us and my children still turned out great. So do what is best and makes you happiest.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It's a hot button issue around here. It was breastmilk only for my children.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011