What brands of hair dye do NOT cover grays?

I HATE my hair color and have always dyed it. But recently I've noticed a few grays. I would like to keep them, I like them. But I want to dye the rest. So I'm wondering if there is a brand that isn't very good at covering them that I could use...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• you could just use temporary/semi-permanent color. any permanent color will *cover*..how well depends on the hair, the user/application/home-maintenance, the product, etc...but techincally, will *change* all the hair it comes into contact with.
    if you knew how to separate sections of hair (foil out the grayer areas, and not apply color to them), you could use permanent on the rest of the head, but foiling on yourself is hard, and messy.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I always use a semi-perm so I don't have to worry about roots... I would do the foil thing but it's just one here and one there...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• then, if you're not straying to far from your natch color, you could simply avoid those areas where the gray is coming in, and towards the end of the processing, mush it all together (totally non-technical speak for 'blend') for the last five-ten minutes.
    or..as you get grayer, apply conditioner to those areas (on dry hair) to act as a buffer to the coloring product. the conditioner will sort of shield the product from penetrating. that way you don't have to worry about getting too much color where you don't want it.
    which brings me to another tip..idk how you apply your semi, but if you find certain areas/ends/shaft getting darker than you like (as in accumulating too much semi-perm color over time), you can do the conditioner-trick in those areas, as well.
    a lot of the time, we tend to grab color near the temples, and browns tend to go much darker in that area..for some reason. i did this on my clients, to avoid grabbing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011