Does your child leave to be with the other parent for the summer too?

My oldest son is 11.His father and I are divorced and for the past 4 years he has been going to stay with his dad for the summer who lives out of state.
I am so torn in half about it. I want my son to be happy.I want him to spend time with his dad and I feel so selfish for not wanting him to go each year.
I feel cheated...like I have to be the "school parent" and I have to set all the rules and make him go to bed on time and get up on time,make him do his homework...and his dad gets all the fun relaxed time.I mean..ya..we have fun on the weekends while he's with me...but its cold here Fall,Winter and Spring. I want to take him to Cedar Point,I want to take him on boat rides and fishing and camping and all the other fun summer stuff and I can't.
It is what it is...and I can't change it.I just have to deal with it and make the most of it, I know...and I do try.Just today...I miss him so much and I wish he were here and we could go spend the day at the beach and have a picnic and I can take great pictures of him running into the water and having fun.He's only been gone since last Friday.He'll be back sometime in August..back to school August 23rd.
:(
I just miss him.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• No, my 9, 11, and 13 yo's go to their dad's for a week in June, a week in July and a week in August but he lives here in town. Do you not even get a couple weeks of vacation with him in the summer? I would have a hard time with that.

Answer by missanc at 3:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I'm sorry, it's got to be hard on everyone. I don't have any advice, just wanted to say {{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• No,I don't get any summer time with him at all this summer. :(
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yep, I'm a custodial parent. His dad is the fun person. Gets him on weekends, Spring Break, and most of summer....
    But I call him about once a week to check up on him, see what all he's done there so far (we live 4 hrs away)...I miss him a lot, too so I know the feeling. Feels empty when my entire family isn't together,
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If I had remained divorced( still am on paper but trying to reconcile) my XDH would have your son during the summer but I would get him on weekends.Thank goodness we dont have to worry about this anymore. Cedar Point,you must be in Ohio also,Maybe you could renegotiate the agreement so you could have him a few days in summer
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 5:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2011