For moms that breast and bottle fed

Did you feel any more bonded to the children you breastfed than you did to the one(s) you bottle fed? I see bonding so often as a reason to breastfeed, and when all I had done was breastfeed I thought it was valid. But after having supply issues with my 5th child (I had breastfed my first 4 for a year each) and having to go to formula when she was 6 months old, I don't feel like my bond with her is any less than with my first 4. Do you think there is a difference in bonding?

Asked by missanc at 3:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Nope. I've done both with all 3 of mine & I bonded with them in plenty of ways; how they ate was just a small fraction of that.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 3:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think the bonding thing is hooey. I had such difficulty with breastfeeding, I didn't bond with DD at all for the first 4 weeks. I really didn't want anything to do with her, feeding her was so painful for both of us. I dreaded having to pick her up to feed her. After getting over the mastitiis, we switched to formula and the bond formed very quickly. I couldn't put her down.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I didn't see any difference. When you breastfeed, there is that physical bond, but when you bottle, there is a bonding, as well. you are holding the baby, giving eye contact, rocking, etc.

I think that the bonding is just as strong . . as long as you are the one doing the feeding.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I only breastfed, but I don't think there is a bond issue. It kinda annoys me when people use that as an excuse for breastfeeding. There are many great reasons to breastfeed, but I don't think bonding changes.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• bs....my daughter has never had a drop of bm and we could NOT be more bonded
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• No difference. I bonded the same with all of them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I too had trouble breastfeeding, although I felt a bond with my son regardless. I felt a stronger bond when i switched to bottles mainly because I was happier. I don't think a bond is any more or less when choosing how you feed your child.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• No, I didn't see a difference with bonding whether I bottle or breast fed..I fell in love with them all :) and felt close to them all.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have only one child... but let me tell you this.

I didn't meet my parents till I was ten months old. I was adopted and bottle fed. But I was better bonded to them than my husband was to his breastfeeding mom.

It's not the feeding method.It's the PARENTING. Feeding ain't bonding.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Actually I am more bonded with the one I bottle fed. I hated breast feeding, though it is absolutely not why I bonded with more than my other. My son is just like me, just like me. My daughter and I have very little in common. I don't love her less for that and am glad she is an individual.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 3:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011