How do I GENTLY night wean my 10 month old?

We co-sleep (he's in bed with us) and breast feed. He nurses between 1 and 4 times per night. Honestly, I'm not ready for him to be in his own bed all night, but my daughter breast fed and co-slept until she was 20 months and it caused major cavities. My son's molars are about to come through (maybe two months from now, I can feel them starting to come up under his gums), and I don't want to cause the same problems for him.

With my daughter we didn't have a lot of time, we had to just DO IT... so she cried it out in her crib in her own room. This time I would like to do it much more gently than that, but I have no idea how.

He is a pretty calm, even-tempered baby, but I don't know how to get him to go to sleep without nursing, and I don't know how to get him to stop nursing at night without plopping him in his own bed and leaving him there :(

What is your advice?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dr Jay Gordon has written a GREAT article on transitioning from the family bed; find it on drjaygordon.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Start out with getting him out of your bed and nuring at night and putting him back in his bed...once he's used to sleeping on his own then work on weaning him...does he use a sippy? perhaps give him a sippy with water. he can sleep with that and when he wakes up he can suck on it and go back to sleep.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• it's possible...when he wakes up to nurse is it just a comfort nursing or an actual feeding? keeping the crib in your room is good idea for now and yes start putting him in it. try and find another comfort for him..I got the my pal scout dog for my 13 month old and he falls right too sleep with the night time music...the batteires went dead and he screamed for 2 nights before I was able to replace them.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I am glad you asked this question! Ive been wondering the same thing about our 8 month old...he sleeps with us all night and nurses on demand too.I will come back to see what advice you are given!
    Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• He doesn't use a sippy yet. He does sleep in his crib for naps and for the first stretch at night... any time I'm not goin to be in bed with him (he tends to fall out of our 3 foot high bed if I'm not there lol).

Do you think if I just start putting him back in his bed when he wakes up (the crib is in our room with us) he will eventually sleep through the night?
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think if you don't get him out of your bed, it's going to be really tough, since the boob is right there. The delay of mama having to wake up first to go feed him may give him time to roll over and fall back asleep.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• SOFT MUSIC WITH NO WORDS
    DaddysGirl523

Answer by DaddysGirl523 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• don't think that just because you nurse is why thier teeth rot. My dd I brushed her teeth religiously from the first sign of a tooth... she had dental surgery 2 replace teeth at 2.

my older boys nothing was different except I didn't brush there teeth very often at all... I know bad mom. lol

This baby now is 2 yrs 3 months and his teeth are fine (rarely brush them) and he still is nursing at night.

some babies are predeposition to cavatites AND I highly highly highly believe something in toothpaste rotted my DDs teeth! and since then it has became known that too much fluride can ROT teeth!

now--- back to your question, feed him a bigger supper then tell him (if he is 2 hopefully he understands) that milk is nasty tonight, can't have any tonight... then after a few nights of that he will stop asking.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• oh man i did the same thing!!!It broke my heart to move my daughter to her own crib but since i was going to stop nursing at a year i had to make the transition. I started with naps and putting her in her crib in her room.Once we had that down then i feed her at night then layed her in her bed and left her,sometimes she cried sometimes she didnt.i would go in like every 5 minutes then the next night every ten and so own and just lay her back down.After three or four days she was ok with it.Still nursing her at night.Then i stopped nursing thru the night but kept that one feeding to lay her down at night.Then when that year mark was coming i started weaning her completly.
    hiselbobbie1

Answer by hiselbobbie1 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Thanks, gdiamante!
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2011