Does your toddler still take binkys or bottles? if not explain how u weaned.

khyleezmama

Asked by khyleezmama at 3:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• neither, we stopped the bottle at 12 months- he only ever used it during the day w/ the sitter... no binky- h never really liked that.

He does still nighttime nurse which we will wean before fall.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My middle child is 2. To wean her, I cut out all bottles ans substituted for a cup except for before nap& bedtime.Then I just took the bottle away completely after that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• No, my oldest "lost" his paci one night when he was 2, never asked for it again. My 4th lost interest in his paci by himself around 20 months. For both, we had limited it to the crib at 12 months. Never did bottles on a regular basis.

Answer by missanc at 3:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My DD is 2 1/2 and we broke her from a bottle at 1. I'd put water is her bottle and juice in her sippy. She prefers juice to water. It was easy.

Pacifiers, that was tricky. When she turned 2, I began by feeding her breakfast and then took the paci. I would only give it to her if she was really, really upset and at bed time. Then, a month went by, and she didn't take the paci during the day, only at night. She'd fall asleep, and I'd take it out of her mouth, and put her sippy cup next to her.

It was less than 3 months doing the stuff with the paci. But, I've heard some horror stories.
    I know some 5-6 year olds that still have a paci. (now, that's sad).
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Neither. The paci was the easiest to loose. When his front teeth were coming in, it hurt him to suck on the paci. So sad - the thing that gave him comfort was CAUSING the pain! So we just took it away and never looked back.

The bottle was trickier - happened around 15 months. I just kept offering a sippy (we tried them all, including straws, etc.) but he flat-out refused! His A-HA moment happened at the park on a hot day - he was thirsty enough to drink out of anything!! After that, we switched to only using the bottle at night, and then just cut it out completely.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i do not want my 3-6 on a paci. its really hard since i live with my grandparents and they dont want 2 hear my dd cry all the time i have cut the bottle down to bed time and paci only when she is really fussy but its really hard ugh need to move out lol
    khyleezmama

Comment by khyleezmama (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Well, the thing is, it's not going to happen overnight.
    It will take time to wean her off. It'll suck, but you'll do it :)
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• cool my baby does not like the sippy she has no patience to try and suck it out of them since her sucking muscles never developed she just loves to use a cup like we use. then at night or naptime she wants the bottle but i think its for comfort and sometimes she really is hungry i just dont know
    khyleezmama

Comment by khyleezmama (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• @ chloesmom thanks yea it took my mom 6months to wean my brother at 2. i would have had her weaned had my gparents refused to hear her cry.
    khyleezmama

Comment by khyleezmama (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Hey, I understand the frustration with having to suck hard on the sippy... have you tried it? My mouth gets tired of it too! You could just take the valve out! That's what we do. Yeah, it spills a little, but it's so much easier to drink, and it's a good transition to real cups (tip and here it comes!) Just have her drink the milk or juice while sitting at the table so spills are contained, and give her water in between so spills aren't a big deal.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2011