How can you know what you actually believe...

... if you have no understanding of other beliefs or religions?

I mean, if you have only ever had Coke, how can you honestly say you prefer it to Pepsi? Religion is no different. If you don't even have a basic grasp of religions outside your own, how can you truly be sure you're on the right one rather than just following what you've been told?

Or is it enough to just believe what you've been told and assume that others had it right for you?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I believe with my own thoughts, mind, body and soul... no matter what I have heard, read, seen or saw.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• This is a great question!! I honestly can only give my opinion.
    I was brought up not going to church.. and believing there was a higher being than me.
    That is good enough for me.. I have no interest in exploring.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Haha, I think we had a question similar to this just here recently. But I agree with you. It is important to have at least a basic understanding of the various options, so that you know you've chosen the one that works best for you. I mean, how can someone even make a choice when they've only considered or known one of the options?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Do you always assume that anyone who believes in God, does so because they don't know better?
    Why do the same questions, rewritten, appear over and over and over again?
    How are your beliefs original and not the recitation of someone else?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Haha, I think we had a question similar to this just here recently.

That was part of the thought behind mine. That and the ones that occasionally pop up from people saying "I don't know what religion I am", but then listing their options as Baptist, Presbyterian or Methodist.

I don't think you can possibly know without looking at at least a few options, but I also thinks that's what makes some afraid to look.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Adnilm - I believe in God, so shove your attitude! The same questions come up because people still have questions and would like to give new members a chance to answer them. And I have yet to find a single person who believes exactly as I do, although I have found similar...

Now, would you mind answering the question? Or are you going to simply hide behind your questions because you have no real answers to mine?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• For me it's not a matter of preferring my Coke to Pepsi, but knowing my Coke is the only true Coke.

There are other sodas. There are other colas. But there is only one Coke.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

•  I have a firm belief in my faith and no matter what I learn from other religions. I will never change my faith. I have done my own studies in my religion and I have friends that believe in other things and have explained the differences.

bible study

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• There are other sodas. There are other colas. But there is only one Coke

I think you missed the point. I can't stand cola at all, that really wasn't the point. The point was that if you only every try one, how can you decide for or against the others?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

___

And this was inspired by one of them... In fact it was inspired by one of the answers to the "Is it sufficient" question, but I didn't want to hijack...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011