Why do people buy in to propaganda?

I feel like I spend half my time correcting the crap people believe about my religious beliefs, medical conditions & beliefs, and so on... All because the propaganda against Pagans, Non-Vaxers, Fibromyalgia, BPD2 and so on is so insane...

WHY do people believe this stuff? Is it just easier to believe what you're told than to actually look for truth? Or is it just that those preaching this crap are screaming louder than those fighting against it?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• that's what makes it propaganda
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think that most people believe what they hear or the gossip they are told rather than truly researching the truth or forming their own opinion. If so and so says this well then that is my opinion and I must be right. Way too many people do that. I would prefer to be informed about something especially if I am offering an opinion or thought on the subject.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Its easier.. sad but true.. that's why most people don't spend time and do their own research - I have my DH as a perfect example and it is enough to drive me INSANE - I do admit to earlier in my life believing what people told me because "why would they lie" type of belief system.. I trusted others to know what they were talking about before running their mouths off because I know of myself, I'd never talk what I don't fully know - but learning as an adult, most everyone I talk to seems to do this- which was how I noticed this about my DH after our son was born..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Because between real academia and the general population is this thing called media, which can magically transform real science into junk science and real information into the world's biggest game of telephone. Every time info is passed on, a little bit more is shaved off to save space, while something else is exaggerated to make a good headline. By the time you're done, "Study finds no link between cancer rates in circumcised and uncircumcised" becomes "NOT CIRCUMCISING CAUSES CANCER!!!!!one!!eleventy!!!" and "Archeologists find ancient grave" becomes "ANCIENT DRUIDS KILLED PEOPLE!!!!!!!one!!!elevety!!!!".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• as with anything, those 'preaching' crap DO scream louder, and more often. its evident in almost any debate section here on CM, or any televised squawk-show. the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so to speak.
    and..some people are too lazy and tend to go with 'the crowd' or popular opinion, for fear of standing out. omg, they may get ridiculed or mocked!!
    i'm pretty blunt with my opinions..and once i've said it, i usually walk away. not much of an arguer..mostly out of apathy, sure. but perhaps someone isn't so settled with themselves and doesn't know how to get 'there'.
    idk if i answered your question. it is what it is. (good luck with your haircolor. lol.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I answered, but it erased my answer. Thanks a lot.
    Blue_Spiral

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 4:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think people just don't know who to believe or who to trust. Even among those who should know what they're talking about there are differences in opinions and ideas.
    Blue_Spiral

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 4:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Because some people can't or won't think for themselves!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I answered, but it erased my answer.

Did it go over the character limit? If you type a long one, get in the habit of highlighting it and copying it before you click "Post your answer" in case it's too long. Put it in notepad and edit it down, and keep trying until you see you have more than 0 characters left below the text window.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Because believing the propaganda justifies their own beliefs, but educating themselves on what a religion REALLY believes might call into question what they already believe. So it's easier to believe the lies and see other religions as "wrong" or "false" so that we don't have to have our own convictions challenged (general we, since you know I'm a pluralist, lol). It's just easier to say a religion is false if they believe things about said religion that make it seem false... ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2011