How do you handle acid reflux

My 41/2 month old has terrible acid reflux. For the longest time we had no idea why she was so fussy. She would scream and kick her little legs, grab your face and pull and twist your skin. She wasn't getting enough sleep and everyone said I just needed to get her on a better schedule. She had been sleeping in our bed. the doctor told us it wasn't safe and we needed to let her "cry it out". She would scream and thrust when I would lay her down. She would often scream for a solid hour. The doctor assured me this was normal. It didn't take long before she lost her voice. I could tell she wasn't feeling well so I took her to the er. They told me she has terrible acid reflux. Since then She is on prevacid. It has not helped her. I hold her up after she eats for half an hour. I am religious about burping her and she is only breast fed. I am careful not to eat spicy food and even tried going dairy and soy free. I know my baby needs to get in her own bed and get on a schedule. I just don't know what to do!

BTW if you are wondering why she can sleep in our bed and not in her crib, I hold her up all night.

kesp

Asked by kesp at 3:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my babies were refluxers. They ended up on Prevacid and Reglan, and were completely different children. Happy, wanting to eat, almost never cried because they weren't in pain. BTW whatever you do, don't switch to formula. The chemicals expand and push upward at the already weak valve in the stomach and make reflux worse. That's what our pediatric GI specialist told me, and we only breastfed.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• my baby was a refluxer besides the meds i was told to put her on cereal and since ur breastfeeding try spoon feeding her. i put cereal in my baby's bottle and it help alos try to give her some water just before unless you dont want to use a bottle at all.
    khyleezmama

Answer by khyleezmama at 3:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• MORE BURPING,DONT PROP BOTTLES,EXERCISE THEIR LEGS OFTEN
    DaddysGirl523

Answer by DaddysGirl523 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Thanks for the suggestions. What is Reglan? I've not heard of it. I was so desperate 2 nights ago I sent my husband to the drugstore to buy colic calm. Really nasty stuff! The first time I used it felt like a miracle. Right after I gave it to her I heard a bunch of gurgling and then she let out a huge burp! Which was followed by some flatulence. She finally fell asleep so I put her in her crib and she stayed on her back all night. Unfortunately it hasn't worked since.
    kesp

Comment by kesp (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Reglan is a prescription that helps the body empty out the stomach faster in the right direction. It works wonders! We tried prescriptions for Zantac (which did nothing) and Prevacid alone (which took the edge off), but it wasn't until we added the Reglan that I saw a huge difference. With my oldest it had gotten so bad that he was screaming about 20 hours a day and refusing to nurse. Once he was on those two meds, he ate, slept, gained weight.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Wow! I'll ask my pediatrician about it. Thanks!
    kesp

Comment by kesp (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• If you don't get answers from your pediatrician, make him/her give you a referral to a peds GI specialist. When my oldest was going through this, my pediatrician kept saying "Oh, it's colic, it's gas, etc". It wasn't until my son went on a nursing strike and I had to walk into his office and cause a stink that I got my referral. I got in with the GI specialist the next day and he was awesome. They know so much more about it than regular pediatricians.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• That was our next plan of action. Clearly they don't know too much about it because I specifically asked if my baby could be having acid reflux. They just said that all babies have some and not to worry. Easy for them to say!
    kesp

Comment by kesp (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It's so frustrating, isn't it? I would definitely ask for a referral.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Gosh poor momma and baby. I cant imagine how hard it must be to just hear her cry :( You must be exahausted, the things we do for our babies :) I'm sorry I don't have advice, just wanted to pass along a big hug and say what a great mommy you are! I hope something here helps both of you :) Oh and by the way our 5 mo DD has gone back and forth between our bed and hers, and I think its just fine.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2011