Pacifiers??? good or bad

Just as i posed the question breast or bottle, i am also going to ask you to weigh in your opinion and/or facts that you have stumbled upon in this situation. I have heard a few stories of people whose babies have ended up with dental problems because of using pacifiers as an infant. Also, i understand that it can interfere with breastfeeding, if that is the route of feeding that you choose. Tell me what you think

Wanabmommy

Asked by Wanabmommy at 3:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• whatever gets you through it and over the hump!

I have 4 and 1 LOVED her paci and the others never took to them.

I had a pedi tell me, take that from her SOON or it will never be gone, then he had his own G-kids and decided, let her have it til she stops... she won't take it to school lol

oh and I breastfed all of mine, and when I went to stop nursing my dd- is when she refused the paci instead- easy wean. :O)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I love them. The recent finding that they reduce SIDS doesn't hurt either. I breastfed and all 5 of my babies had pacis since day 1, no confusion. The only ones that ending up liking pacis were my 1st and 4th, we limited it to the crib at 1 year and they were completely gone by 2.

Answer by missanc at 3:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I much prefer pacifiers over not using them. I have 3 little ones. One used pacifiers and 2 wound up sucking their thumb. It was so much easier to wean our little one from the pacifier but we have not had the same luck with the thumbs. None of them have any issues with their teeth due to sucking on the pacifier or their thumb. Also when breastfeeding the pacifier was my life saver. Otherwise my little one would have nursed 24-7. As it was she would eat for about 45 minutes and then in between feeding if she wanted to suck the pacifier would satisfy her.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Depends on the child. I had one who loved the pacifier and one who never took one. Both were exclusively breastfed.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My baby is breastfed and she always has a binky in her mouth.
    AmberNicoley

Answer by AmberNicoley at 3:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My son loved his pacifier. My daughter refused to take one.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 3:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Hmmm,iv had 5 kiddos and counting!!And iv given them all binkies,plus i breastfeed for a year.So far iv not had any problems with them or there teeth.They were weaned from breast and paci at a year.I tried not to give them there paci's right in the beginning because i wanted them to get nursing down and not get confused.I started the binkies around teething time.Sometimes it was a lifesaver for both me and baby.And i never felt bad giving them one.
    hiselbobbie1

Answer by hiselbobbie1 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Both my kids used them and there teeth seem to be fine
    hesseltinefam5

Answer by hesseltinefam5 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011