What does it mean when I had a failed Non-Stress Test?

Is this bad, or ok. I have to redo tomorrow.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well, what did your OB say? I can't understand why women on here ask questions like this, ask the doctor! I'd think if you failed it, that there's soemthing wrong. Duh. And if you have to repeat it tomorrow, and you are still wondering if that's bad? Double duh.
    Now, if the doc sent you home without answering your questions and that's why you're asking a bunch of strangers, then time to change docs.
    Anonymous

• well I just want input... he said not to worry much, maybe better question was to get a more clear idea of what exactly the Non-Stress Test tests for. I have an idea. He said he more really didn't like the results. And you don't have to treat me like an idiot and be mean to people when they want a little input. So stop being so rude.
    Anonymous

• The primary goal of the test is to measure the heart rate of the fetus in response to its own movements. Healthy babies will respond with an increased heart rate during times of movement, and the heart rate will decrease at rest. The concept behind a non-stress test is that adequate oxygen is required for fetal activity and heart rate to be within normal ranges. When oxygen levels are low, the fetus may not respond normally. Low oxygen levels can often be caused by problems with the placenta or umbilical cord.

A reactive non-stress result indicates that blood flow (and oxygen) to the fetus is adequate. A nonreactive non-stress result requires additional testing to determine whether the result is truly due to poor oxygenation, or whether there are other reasons for fetal nonreactivity (i.e. sleep patterns, certain maternal prescription or nonprescription drugs).
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• The main risk with the NST is based on getting a false negative result and intervening where there is no need. There are other factors to take into consideration when determining fetal well-being besides the NST results, including amount of fluid, fetal breathing movements, how the placenta is working etc. As this test is most often performed when a woman is past her due date, it is important to remember that in the literature, the high majority of babies even up to 2 weeks past their due date are still perfectly fine. Well- nourished mothers tend to grow healthy placentas that can adequately nourish the baby past the due date with no ill-effects.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• 809 Dec 11 Anonymous just sit back and relax why don't you. Not every mom to be can be as cool as you. Pregnancy is stressful when nonstress tests are normal much less not. I was two and a half weeks late and ended up 10 days in the hospital with a placenta infection. My nonstress test showed everything ok. For original poster keep up your strength, get rest as much as you can and after the repeat test if you're still uncomfortable maybe you can get a second opinion from his associate if there's one or from hi-risk ob. Is there a type of music you like that helps destress you? Can someone be with you? Take care, thinking of you.
    Anonymous