Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What to do??? HELP!!!!

Ok i had my son when i was 15 and dhr made me give custody to my grandmother.. well before i signed over custody i told her that when i turn 18 i want it back and she agreed... well i'm 21 and fixing to have my 2nd child and i asked her yesterday when she as planning on giving me and she told me that when me and my fiancee get married and she sees that we are stable she will give it back.... by the way he lives ith me i pay for everything for him like a mother should and another thing is she is pissed at me cuz i wanna send him to school close to my house so i can take him to and from school because hes only 5 and shes mad cuz she wants him to stay with her durning the week and go to school and him only be with me on the weekends.... when she lives in a 3br. trailor with my drunk brother his wife their 2 kids and my drunk uncle and her.... my house is a 3 br. with me and my fiancee and his brother.... what to do??????????

Answer Question

Asked by mommymtz at 4:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 9 (286 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • get a lawyer. Is it in your custody agreement that full custody reverted back to you at 18?

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • I'd say get a lawyer

    Answer by danichaos at 4:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • I would take it to court, too. Don't wait around for her to decide to give custody back to you. It's been 5 years and she hasn't done it yet, there will probably always be a reason she doesn't want to yet. Be proactive and show your interest to the court and see what you get with that.

    Answer by MaryMW at 4:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Get a lawyer.

    Answer by SWasson at 4:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • i have a lawyer that was court appointed and they did not put it in the agreement.... the only reason that she wants to keep custody of him is cuz she makes to much money and when she does her taxes without him she would have to pay....
    my whole family says that if i take custody away then they will disown me.....

    Comment by mommymtz (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Go get a free consultation from a lawyer in your area...even if you can't afford a lawyer it will help to give you a better idea of what your rights are. Honestly, if you are not involved with drugs, in prison, and have no history of child abuse/neglect than you have a great chance of getting sole custody of your child. If you can provide for him financially and you have another child which would be your older sons sibling then most likely you will win custody, the court wants to see siblings together as well. You can file a motion for custody and or more parenting time with your son through the courts in your area, you may have to pay a small fee to file, but you don't necessarily need a lawyer unless your mom gets one then maybe you could qualify for a court appointed lawyer, but if mom gets one then you should get one too. Good luck.

    Answer by geminisummerz at 4:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • honestly, if you didn't put in the original custody agreement you are going to have a tough time. The courts will say that he has been someone elses responsibility for 5 years and the parent that your child has known

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • First I would be grateful to gma for taking good care of your baby for so long. It is wonderful that you are ready for him now, but remember she was there when you were not able to be. You will have to go to court to change the custody arrangement. You gma will be sad, but she will understand in the long run...if you are appreciative and respectful of what she did for you and your baby.


    Answer by ochsamom at 4:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • You will have to take it to court to get custody back.

    Answer by happymama02 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • thanks sooo much....

    Comment by mommymtz (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.