What activites are good for 18 month old, very curious, very busy BOY?!

I am a full time student and am rarely home with my son, however when I am home with him, a few days a week and on the weekends I can't think of anything to do with him to keep him busy! We live in Ne so it is too cold to be outside right now, he has a million books but doesn't always want to read. I tried coloring with him this morning and he just eats the crayons! I really don't want to sit him in front of the t.v! Any ideas?!

Landynsmommy07

Asked by Landynsmommy07 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you feel like getting out in the cold. there are places called monkeyjoes dont know if you have one its a inside jump house and activitys.
    also places like mygym...they are toys and activitys to make sure they get weared out.

inside we have a ball pit. at this age they love balls i dont get it but hey.
    ring around the rosey..or just spin him make sure all toys are moved and he cant get hurt. make him dizzy then let him walk.
    my boys are 17months
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have a very busy 17mo. old boy and he just likes it when I let him "help" me out in the kitchen (aka, tearing all the tupperware out of the drawers, banging on pots and pans)... sure it makes another mess that I have to clean up, but he's Happy and feels like he's involved in what I'm doing.
    Another thing that I do is just get down on the floor with him and talk about this toy and that toy and ask him questions.
    After that all gets old then the TV :)
    Thing is you have to let them make a mess, because I've found if I'm just trying to stop him from doing that and telling him "no" all day it gets real boring for both of us.
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 8:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Have your little guy "help" with laundry. Mine loves the put things in (and out) of the washer & dryer. He also loves to unfold the clothing. A basket of wash cloths and dish towles entertain him for a while. I fold he unfolds I fold. . .

Oh, the plastics cupboard is also lots of fun like Whohannah said.

I also heard that a big dish of rice or dried beans and differnt cups can be a lot of fun.

If you have snow you can bring a bucket full inside and make snowmen in the bathroom or kitchen. Great time to break out the mittens and hat for some indoor fun
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Buy a bag of sandbox sand from Home Depot - not Toys R Us. Fill a large baking pan and add a plastic cup and spoon. He'll love to practice filling them up with the sand. Expect a mess though - that's what makes it so fun! You can also use dry rice or beans, but be careful that he doesn't put it in his mouth.

Practice kicking a ball around, or wadded up paper.

Check your local library for storytimes. Those are great for early beginner readers - great training.
    Anonymous

• My youngest is a little older (23 mos) but he likes playing catch (really just throwing a ball at me!), dancing to music, building with Mega Blocks, looking at picture books, trying to do simple puzzles, playing cars or trains, and playing with his babies - stuffed animals, and playing with Little People. It can be hard to keep him entertained especially because he has such a short attention span!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Mine like taking clothes out of the laundry basket and putting them back in (sometimes) or getting in it and I'll spin them around in it. They like balls, the beach ball types at party stores that you blow up and keep in the house, that's one of their favorites! They love the mega-blocks building towers. They love toys like the gears that spin around. They love the dump trucks and other trucks that they can push around the big ones for each hand while they push them around. They love bowls. They love anything with music. They love their pretend remote they play with it for a long time. The real remotes don't have the battery secure so they can't use those by themselves.
    Hope something in there helps.
    Mommy--

Answer by Mommy-- at 3:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Thanks for all of the great ideas! I wish we had a mygym here, but we don't! I thought about putting him in tumbling at the YMCA because he likes to climb on everything! I am going to try some of this stuff and hopefully xmas break will go better since we have fun things to do!!!
    Landynsmommy07

Answer by Landynsmommy07 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2008