Tell me about your church/denomination!

We are church-hunting, and are having a really hard time picking one. If you don't mind, would you tell me about the type of church you attend, why you chose it, and share any links you have about your denomination so I can look at them? I'm in the Bible belt and we have churches of every denomination here... so I'm trying to narrow it down by researching on my own some rather than visiting every single one but I'm not really sure where to start.

OhMaria

Asked by OhMaria at 5:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm Southern Baptist and I love it! That said, I couldn't go to just any Baptist church and have it be a good fit. I like at least a medium sized church with lots of different types of opportunities to worship and serve, for my kids and myself. It's the church I grew up in so I didn't choose it to begin with, but I visited several different churches as an adult and none of them compared. I like the music and the worship style of my church and the friendliness of the people. We believe in the "priesthood of the believer" so nobody is ever going to tell you what to believe, but will tell you what they believe and encourage you to read the Bible and make decisions for yourself. As a church, most of us do believe in a fairly literal translation of the Bible though. If you think it's full of stories to make a point, it would definitely not be a good fit for you.

Answer by missanc at 5:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I'm mormon and have always loved this church. it's easy to find one go to lds.org. if you could get pasted the scary untrue stories or misguided beliefs then you might be surprised and wonder where all these stange stories come from. we always laugh when we hear something outragous. my father prayed about which church he should joined tried 3 times to take us to church and each time a problem posed in front of us. finally when he paryed about it the mormon missionaries showed up at the door and he took it as the answer to his prayers. i'm grateful he did that. god always leads you to where you belong, where ever that may lead you to.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• We currently in a Mennonite Bretheren church. Here is the link to the national office www.usmb.org. What attracted me to the denomination is their social justice views. They believe very strongly in helping with the wrongs or problems in society, in very real practical ways. So if there is proverty in your neighborhood you work to help with the issues surrounding poverty. In the neighborhood of our church is a low income aparment complex. One of the things the church does is run an after school program for the children. This includes sports club, tutoring club, a music class and other things. A new ministry we are developing is a ministry to integrate those with disabilities into the life of our church. Often it is hard for parents with children who have a disability, be it a learning disability or a physical disability to attend Sunday service. So we want to help. These are just a few examples.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 7:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I don't church hunt. I"m a Catholic. I attend for the mass and the Eucharist. Most Catholic churches have a great group of people who like to cooperate and do things big. And enjoy the fellowship doing it. It's never dawned on me to shop for a new church. I guess if you are looking for a certain age group, or a young minister, or non gossipy women, or non lazy men, or people who don't smoke or drink, or possibly those who don't divorce.
    I'd imagine by the time you got done, the church would have to do a variety song for each of your visits.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I was raised Catholic,DH Lutheran. I knew I did not want to be Catholic(in the church). We found an ELCA Lutheran church but it was not a good fit. We also have a special needs son and wanted him to be accepted.We now go to a non denominational church. every sermon is Bible based and my son is accepted.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 10:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I was born and raised Catholic, but I'm not practicing (much) any more.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Hi, I am LDS or Mormon. The actual name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. As the other girl posted their are confusions about my religion that we really do laugh about. We do NOT practice polygmy being the main one. But, I don't want to talk about what we don't believe but what we do. So i would sincerly like to bear my testimony to you. I know that Jesus Christ is our Saviour and redeemer, born of a virgin birth. The amazement i feel when I think about the sacrifice he made for me and the love i feel from him each day literally leaves me in tears. I know that my saviour lives and loves each one of us. His church has been restored on the earth-it is built upon the foundation of apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ is the chief cornerstone of our church. I know that the Holy Bible is the Word of God. I also know that The Book of Mormon is true and that it bears witness of Christ.
    Taterstots3

Answer by Taterstots3 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2011