How do I discipline my 11 month old DD?

The only thing she is not allowed to do is pull the dvd's out of the dvd rack, and I tell her no everytime and take her to her toys. I let her know that the dvd's are not toys but that her toys are there for her to play with. We have a small apartment so she can go do whatever else she wants, but she always goes over to the dvd's and pulls them off the shelves. I've been stern with my "no" and even held her hand fairly tightly so that she gets the hint that they aren't toys. I just feel like we're getting off to a bad start with the discipline, like when she gets older she'll just walk all over me. She'll be 1 on the 22nd of this month. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

iLuVmYMaDiSoN07

Asked by iLuVmYMaDiSoN07 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know of a GREAT book that you might find some good ideas in... it's written by a Christian, so I don't know how you would feel about that..... if you are interested in learning the title and author's name please send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• what we do is the 3 time rule...
    i say no sir...they do it anyways...no sir..smiles do it anyways...no sir..taps it.
    i go over pick him up sit him in my lap. make him sit there a min. a min is a long time for them. when the min is up say mama told you not to touch it. go play...usully they wont touch it for awhile. at this age they are testing to see what they can do or cannot do.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• well the 123 thing sometimes works time out for 15 minutes works. but really a 11 month old doesnt no wrong from right u do put the dvds at a higher level where ur lil one cant reach and u wouldnt have a problem.
    Anonymous

• i agree with mama2twins, i tell Cole no about 3 times, then smack his hand when he reaches for "it" again, and strnely tell him NO!. now he will reach, and after the 2nd stern NO, we will reach out and the pull his hand back and hold his hand. and then look at me, like it will be an owie if I touch this right? so i say Good Boy! and redirect. move the dvd's, to a bedroom if need be, for a while.
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 10:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I love that answer from mama2twins07 gave. I also have an 11 month old that has been testing me lately, but with the christmas tree. I'm definatly going to try that. I think you're off to a good start and I'm glad to hear that you're not hitting her. I hate it when people suggest spanking. You're doing good so far and if you find something that works please let me know.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2008