How to make him (SO) understand?

I have two stepchildren whom I have known for 12 years now that they are teenagers they don't want to come over as much I guess they finally realized that dad is too strict he wants to do family things (which was fun for awhile). They live with their mom who let's them roam free. I am sure she is a good mother but to tell you the truth I wouldn't want to be with the parent that is strict. He gets so upset when they say that they are not coming for the weekend. I hate seeing him this way I can only say to him well you do realize they are growing and they kind of have a mind of their own. All he says is (I DON'T GIVE A XXXX!!!) I just turn the other way and pray that one day he will realize this. They will always be his kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• Teenagers have lives of their own. Even if the relationship was a really great one, they would be pulling away. They have their friends, are exploring "love interests:, etc. It's perfectly natural. I'd stress that to him. All we can hope for as parents is to raise them, instill good values and hope that they can make it on their own....
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 9:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• That is sad~ All I can say is maybe he should try sitting down with them letting them know they aren't all grown up yet, and that there are fun things to do family wise that involve teenagers. A night out would be going to a resteraunt that has live music, or bowling and they can all bring a date, how's that sound?
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• that sucks. my dad was the " i don't care what you do" kind of parent and my siblings and I got tired of running wild. tell your hubby to chill. they want to have fun and be teenges. If I were YOU I would call the step- kids and ask them if there is anything THEY would like to do. Maybe they don't like having things ( family stuff ) planned with out them.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I am divorced with two children..one is 7 the other 16. Our 7 year old wants to go to regular visitation but my 16 year old is a different story. She does not want to go very often because she has her friends here and likes to do things with them on the weekends. I think it's just part of growing up. She misses a lot of her visitations because she has nothing to do there being her father lives in a small town. In a lot of states there is no age limit as to visitation. Here in arkansas it's until the child is eighteen. If she does not go to visitation she has to ok it thru her father not me. If he says it's ok then she does not have to go but sometimes he puts his foot down and makes her come so I have to comply with his wishes because the decision is up to him until she is eighteen.
    rook289

Answer by rook289 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2008