• In the Spotlight:

Do you think that children should be removed from the home if their parents spank them and leave belt marks?

Remove if:

Ages (6-8) Yes or No
(9-12) Yes or No
(13-16) Yes or No
(17+)

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 5:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Spanking and leaving belt marks are two totally different things. I do not see anything wrong with spanking but using anything other than a hand is abuse. And if a child is being spanked hard enough that they are having marks left on them that is also abuse.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• yes 6-8 any older no..technically as long as the marks are focused around the rear it is not considered abuse..that means no marks down the legs or on the back or any other part of the body..reason being sometimes kids do need the be spanked..my sd 14 tried that card and it didnt work she was told by a officer that kids could get spankings and that abuse has certain grounds..if you knew my sd you would understand why she was spanked tho..this is also a child that was sent to boot camp by the state so before all the bashers come out lol..i will remind you to know your place
    Anonymous

• Yep, be careful these days. Parents have very limited rights and the kids know exactly what bull sh*t cards to play. They know if they go to school and manipulate their teachers they will have to call CPS. So sad! when a parent cant discipline their child for stealing or running away without having to deal with CPS.
    Anonymous

• Well, I don't think it's illegal to spank your kids, but if your leaving welts or marks on them then it is considered child abuse.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 5:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Regardles of age NO object should be used to spank a child! It is considered ABUSE!!! However, I do believe a young child (1-3yrs) should be lightly smacked on the hand or bottom if they are doing something wrong that could harm them. My son is now 6 and understand when I talk to him and tell him why something he did was wrong and gets more upset if I send him to his room (theres not toys in his room) than if I were to physically punish him! There is no need to be physical with children!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 5:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yes i got spankings that left marks. I know of a kid that just stole a bike and was spanked by his father. The teacher noticed the marks about his legs and reported it.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• A child should never have marks on them from any form of discipline.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2011