Should spanking be used as a form of discipline?

Ages (6-8) Yes or No
(9-12) Yes or No
(13-16) Yes or No
(17+)

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 5:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes to the first 3, after 17 i think its a little much plus there might be a better way to get your point across..my last spanking was when I was 16 and it was bc i told my mom i hated her bc she made me super mad! So yea i totally deserved that...i guess it all depends tho
    Anonymous

• No, we do not use spanking as discipline in our home.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think that it is fine to use it as a form of discipline. However by the ages that you have listed I have found other forms of discipline to be as effective. If I thought that the situation warranted it though I would have no issues with spanking.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• yep. even younger than 6.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My husband and I were both spanked as kids, but we do not spank our kids...they get grounded and get privileges taken away.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 5:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• yup yup yup. after they turn 13, there are much better ways to discipline that doesn't involve spanking
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 5:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• 6-8) Yes, if they have done something dangerous (running away on the sidewalk toward the street, unfastening their car seat or seatbelt while the car is moving), other than that, we do time outs and loss of priveledges

9-12) Yes, if all other options have been exhausted. I would hope they are no longer creating dangerous situations for themselves by not listening or being disobedient.

13-16) No. I was never spanked as a teenager. Grounding and loss of priviledges will be employed at this age.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yes to the first three.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2011